April 26, 2024, 09:07:36 PM
Forum Rules: Read This Before Posting

Topic: Remaining sulphuric acid and evaporation  (Read 6454 times)

Offline Judas68

• Mole Snacks: +0/-0
Remaining sulphuric acid and evaporation
« on: April 11, 2013, 11:33:26 AM »
Hello everybody!

I am working in isotopic geochemistry, and am trying to develop a new chromatography method (with ion exchange resins) to separate some trace metal elements (from solid samples) to measure them via MC-ICP or TIMS techniques.

During one of the steps of this method, I use some diluted H2SO4 (2N) associated with peroxide (0.1% v/v) to wash the resin (ca 1mL of resin in my columns), and then I switch to diluted nitric acid (2N) to elute the elements I want to measure from the resin.

The first volume of nitric acid I load onto the resin (1mL) goes to garbage as the elements I want to measure only come after 1.5mL of elution with nitric acid. So it should push the interstitial remaining sulphuric acid out of the columns.

The problem is that, when I dry down my eluted solution at the end of the procedure (I need to change the solvent), there is always one drop of remaining liquid that doesn't dry (at 80˚C). Given that it is sticky, and slowly evaporates only if I increase the drying temperature at least above 180˚C, I assume it is some remaining sulphuric acid. The problem is that it takes a very long time to evaporate it...

So I tried to increase my first elution step (the first mL of nitric acid that is supposed to push the sulphuric acid out) from 1 to 1.5mL, but I still have some remaining sulphuric acid. I can't increase this volume to more than 1.5mL or I will begin to loose some of the elements of interest.

I was thus wondering if maybe there is a way (with the help of a catalyst or something) to increase the evaporation rate of this remaining sulphuric acid. Do you guys have an idea?

Offline Borek

• Mr. pH
  • Administrator
  • Deity Member
  • Mole Snacks: +1801/-410
  • I am known to be occasionally wrong.
    • Chembuddy
Re: Remaining sulphuric acid and evaporation
« Reply #1 on: April 11, 2013, 11:40:49 AM »
Do you have to wash with sulfuric acid?
ChemBuddy chemical calculators - stoichiometry, pH, concentration, buffer preparation, titrations.info

Offline Judas68

« Reply #2 on: April 11, 2013, 11:58:52 AM »
yes, I don't have the choice, it is the best way to get rid of the most interfering elements with the resin I use (other resins/acids associations are way less efficient).

Offline curiouscat

• Chemist
  • Mole Snacks: +121/-35
« Reply #3 on: April 11, 2013, 02:32:34 PM »
Heat? Vacuum?

Blow a stream of dry air over it?

Neutralize it somehow preferably into low boiling or gaseous products?

Offline Judas68

« Reply #4 on: April 11, 2013, 03:49:02 PM »
I've tried the heat, it works, but takes something like two days at 230˚C (my containers only go up to 250˚C). I work in a clean lab, and the only thing I have are basically hotplates, so no vacuum or air blowers.

Given to the concentration of the acid it will need a significant amount of base if I want to neutralize it, and as I am working on trace elements, I would like to add the less reactants as I can.

But I guess I won't find any better solution...

Offline curiouscat

• Chemist
  • Mole Snacks: +121/-35
« Reply #5 on: April 11, 2013, 03:55:38 PM »
A vacuum is really your best option. Not sure why it is so hard to get. Most places have a ready vacuum line or manifold. With a decent vaccum you should be able to lower that BP to around 150 C or so at least. 

Offline Arkcon

• Retired Staff
  • Mole Snacks: +533/-147
« Reply #6 on: April 11, 2013, 04:18:37 PM »
Sorry to hear its so difficult to neutralize the sulfuric, because that would convert it to a salt, which won't be an oil hanging around.  Perhaps you can try to identify the trace impurities by ion chromatography?
Hey, I'm not judging.  I just like to shoot straight.  I'm a man of science.

Sponsored Links