April 25, 2024, 04:04:45 PM
Forum Rules: Read This Before Posting

Topic: Ligand field strength in the visible spectra of Cu(II) Complexes  (Read 7912 times)

Offline Wuffe_devil

• Mole Snacks: +0/-0
Hello!

We have recently done an experiment on five Cu complexes [Cu(H2O)n(NH3)6-n]2+ and acquired their spectra, and the influence of ligand field strength was observed based on the spectra results.

So, as far as I know, NH3 is a stronger field ligand, meaning the energy goes up as number of n(number of water molecules) go down, and this was observed in our results, however for [Cu(H2O)2(NH3)4]2+ seems to have higher energy than [Cu(H2O)(NH3)5]2+ and i cant seem to find a reason why... I'm not sure how this could be explained using ligand field theory either.

Any advice would be greatly appreciated.

Offline UG

• Mole Snacks: +134/-15
Re: Ligand field strength in the visible spectra of Cu(II) Complexes
« Reply #1 on: April 11, 2013, 02:21:55 AM »
 I believe the answer is to do with the Jahn-Teller distortion of the d9 copper complex. The six metal-ligand bonds are not of equal length.

Offline Wuffe_devil

« Reply #2 on: April 11, 2013, 02:47:28 AM »
I believe the answer is to do with the Jahn-Teller distortion of the d9 copper complex. The six metal-ligand bonds are not of equal length.

Hmm? I knew that but I am not sure how this is connected to this.

I know that Jahn-Teller distortion will make the octahedral molecule acquire tetragonal geometry and the bond lengths will be different. But that applies for all the 5 compounds right? why is [Cu(H2O)(NH3)5]2+ different? I'm not quite sure what makes this ion different from the others

Offline UG

« Reply #3 on: April 11, 2013, 03:33:49 AM »
There are 4 short C-N bonds in [Cu(H2O)2(NH3)4]2+ and 2 long C-O bonds. Adding another ammonia ligand forces the formation of another long C-N replacing the long C-O bond. Is this favourable?

Offline Wuffe_devil

« Reply #4 on: April 11, 2013, 03:41:22 AM »
There are 4 short C-N bonds in [Cu(H2O)2(NH3)4]2+ and 2 long C-O bonds. Adding another ammonia ligand forces the formation of another long C-N replacing the long C-O bond. Is this favourable?

Oh I see, thanks for clarification!

Offline grs35

• Mole Snacks: +1/-1
« Reply #5 on: April 18, 2013, 08:20:56 PM »

What C-O and C-N bonds are you talking about ?

Offline UG

« Reply #6 on: April 19, 2013, 04:20:56 AM »
Oops I meant Cu-O and Cu-N bonds :)

Sponsored Links