April 25, 2024, 11:56:04 PM
Forum Rules: Read This Before Posting

Topic: Purification of 4-bromoacetanilide by re-crystallization  (Read 10395 times)

Offline metallica00789

• Mole Snacks: +0/-1
Purification of 4-bromoacetanilide by re-crystallization
« on: April 07, 2013, 11:24:54 PM »
Hi,
I am synthesizing 4-bromoacetanilide using the following reaction:

I need to purify the product by dissolving and re-crystallize it. I need to use a solvent that will dissolve 4-bromoacetanilide only at high temperatures. I am thinking  of using an alcohol with a long r chain, like propanol or butanol, since 4-bromoacetanilide has a polar components (acetate, and amine). Do you think that long chained alcohols will do the job?
Thank you.

Offline Dan

• Retired Staff
  • Mole Snacks: +469/-72
  • Organic Chemist
    • My research
Re: Purification of 4-bromoacetanilide by re-crystallization
« Reply #1 on: April 08, 2013, 03:26:39 AM »
Check the literature, this recryst will have been done before. It is very difficult to predict the best solvent from the structure, you have to do some experiments.
My research: Google Scholar and Researchgate

Offline OC pro

• Chemist
  • Mole Snacks: +36/-15
« Reply #2 on: April 08, 2013, 07:48:06 AM »
Do an acidic work-up using KHSO4 and ethyl acetate. The aniline will go into the aqueous layer and your product will go into the organic layer. This is simple acid-base extraction. I recognize you are carrying out synthesis without knowing the very basics of organic chemistry. After careful extraction, your product will be >95% pure. Recrystallization should work with ethanol or ethanol/water mixtures.

Offline OC pro

• Chemist
« Reply #3 on: April 08, 2013, 07:52:14 AM »
Btw: have you tried google before? There are tons of manuscripts describing the synthesis of your compound. Use ethanol for recrystallization (as suggested from me before).

Offline metallica00789

• Mole Snacks: +0/-1
« Reply #4 on: April 08, 2013, 01:16:32 PM »
Do an acidic work-up using KHSO4 and ethyl acetate. The aniline will go into the aqueous layer and your product will go into the organic layer. This is simple acid-base extraction. I recognize you are carrying out synthesis without knowing the very basics of organic chemistry. After careful extraction, your product will be >95% pure. Recrystallization should work with ethanol or ethanol/water mixtures.
I am still a student, but I know the very basics ::) I am not allowed to do acid-base extraction in this experiment.

Offline OC pro

• Chemist
« Reply #5 on: April 08, 2013, 02:40:34 PM »
Then you should have mentioned that you are not allowed to do acid-base washing. That clears things up. But aqeuous work-up is allowed?

Offline OC pro

• Chemist
« Reply #6 on: April 08, 2013, 02:42:30 PM »
The problem is: if you have a very dirty mixture recrystallization will not improve the quality of your material. Very often, material has to be pre-purified before recrystallization. Thats why I suggested acid-base extraction.
Why is acid-base not allowed? It seems stupid to me...

Offline opsomath

• Chemist
  • Mole Snacks: +50/-8
« Reply #7 on: April 09, 2013, 03:03:40 PM »
Is this in a class? If you do the reaction carefully, after aqueous workup you will have nearly a pure compound. Acid workup is nice in this case, but not strictly necessary. Ethanol is very likely to be a good recryst solvent for you.

Sponsored Links