April 18, 2024, 07:35:32 PM
Forum Rules: Read This Before Posting

Topic: Kb of NH3  (Read 7630 times)

Offline Big-Daddy

• Mole Snacks: +28/-94
Kb of NH3
« on: April 08, 2013, 07:39:37 PM »
Can Kb be defined in terms of reducing H3O+ or must it be producing OH-?

For example, for NH3, it seems we have two choices: NH3 (aq) + H3O+  ::equil:: NH4+ + H2O, or NH3 (aq) + H2O ::equil:: NH4+ + OH-. Which is the actual definition? Or are they both ocurring and equivalent in terms of value?

What about the action of NH4+ from a salt? It should just be the reverse reaction of whichever one occurs for NH3 ... (i.e. so Ka[NH4+]=1/Kb[NH3])

Offline AWK

• Retired Staff
  • Mole Snacks: +555/-93
Re: Kb of NH3
« Reply #1 on: April 09, 2013, 02:55:52 AM »
Ka x Kb = Kw
AWK

Offline Dan

• Retired Staff
  • Mole Snacks: +469/-72
  • Organic Chemist
    • My research
« Reply #2 on: April 09, 2013, 03:11:33 AM »
Can Kb be defined in terms of reducing H3O+ or must it be producing OH-?

Careful with your terminology, it is a deprotonation not a reduction. If you mean reduction in the sense of "decreasing concentration of", use "consuming" etc. - "reduction" is not a good word to use because it implies redox chemistry in this context.

For example, for NH3, it seems we have two choices: NH3 (aq) + H3O+  ::equil:: NH4+ + H2O, or NH3 (aq) + H2O ::equil:: NH4+ + OH-. Which is the actual definition? Or are they both ocurring and equivalent in terms of value?

The answer to your question is written here: http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Base_dissociation_constant#Bases

What about the action of NH4+ from a salt? It should just be the reverse reaction of whichever one occurs for NH3 ... (i.e. so Ka[NH4+]=1/Kb[NH3])

No, see AWK's post and again it is written here as well: http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Base_dissociation_constant#Bases
My research: Google Scholar and Researchgate

Offline Big-Daddy

« Reply #3 on: April 09, 2013, 04:17:51 PM »
Careful with your terminology, it is a deprotonation not a reduction. If you mean reduction in the sense of "decreasing concentration of", use "consuming" etc. - "reduction" is not a good word to use because it implies redox chemistry in this context.

Yeah, sorry, I meant "decreasing concentration of". I see how this would be a problem (it's just that I was typing at 3 AM!).

No, see AWK's post and again it is written here as well: http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Base_dissociation_constant#Bases

OK, so the clear choice for this case is NH3 (aq) + H2::equil:: NH4+ + OH-. Meanwhile, if we describe this equilibrium I just wrote with the constant Kb, Ka for the action of the conjugate base NH4+ is equal to Kw/Kb suggesting the reaction is NH4+ + H2::equil:: H3O+ + NH3.

My difficulty with Wikipedia's definition is: say we have an m-protic base B(OH)m in solution - if it dissociates OH- ions would that not itself make it a base? e.g. B(OH)m  ::equil:: B(OH)m-1+ + OH- being Kb1, B(OH)m-1+  ::equil:: B(OH)m-22+ + OH- being Kb2, etc. or am I writing the wrong reactions, because in these cases the conjugate acid forms are not being associated to protons? e.g. a concrete example: what are the two dissociations of Ca(OH)2? I would think the reactions were Ca(OH)2   ::equil:: CaOH+ + OH- and CaOH+  ::equil:: Ca2+ + OH- but there does not appear to be proton association here ...

Offline AWK

• Retired Staff
« Reply #4 on: April 10, 2013, 05:53:39 AM »
Eg for diprotic:
Ka1 x Kb2 = Kw
Ka2 x Kb1 = Kw
Number 1 is for the greatest K (a or b)
For triprotic
Ka1 x Kb3 = Kw and so on
AWK

Offline Big-Daddy

« Reply #5 on: April 10, 2013, 06:40:25 AM »
Eg for diprotic:
Ka1 x Kb2 = Kw
Ka2 x Kb1 = Kw
Number 1 is for the greatest K (a or b)
For triprotic
Ka1 x Kb3 = Kw and so on

Thanks. And to clarify, the Ka values refer to the action of the conjugate acid if it were put into solution (e.g. if you have a salt containing NH4+, it will have a Ka referring to converting to NH3, and we can get this Ka value from Kw/(Kb of NH3)) and Kb to the action of the base itself put into solution. Correct?

Offline AWK

• Retired Staff
« Reply #6 on: April 10, 2013, 10:46:11 AM »
Ka refers to protolysis of acids (eg NH4+) -proton is moved from acid to water molecule
Kb refers to the protolysis of bases eg. NH3) - proton is moved from water to base
Numbering of Ka or Kb for polyprotic species depends on value of K. To the highest value number 1 is assigned (for monoprotic acids or bases both numbers at K are equal to 1). Then the sum of numbers n+m at Kan and Kbm in the equation Kan x Kbm = Kw is equal to max. number of exchangeable protons plus 1 (both Kan and Kbm refer to conjugated species)
AWK

Offline Big-Daddy

« Reply #7 on: April 10, 2013, 11:24:45 AM »
Ka refers to protolysis of acids (eg NH4+) -proton is moved from acid to water molecule
Kb refers to the protolysis of bases eg. NH3) - proton is moved from water to base
Numbering of Ka or Kb for polyprotic species depends on value of K. To the highest value number 1 is assigned (for monoprotic acids or bases both numbers at K are equal to 1). Then the sum of numbers n+m at Kan and Kbm in the equation Kan x Kbm = Kw is equal to max. number of exchangeable protons plus 1 (both Kan and Kbm refer to conjugated species)

Thanks.

What if we have a base B(OH)m which starts dissociating OH- ions? e.g. B(OH)m  ::equil:: B(OH)m-1+ + OH- being Kb1, B(OH)m-1+  ::equil:: B(OH)m-22+ + OH- being Kb2, (we can assume Kb1>Kb2) etc. or am I writing the wrong reactions, because in these cases the conjugate acid forms are not being associated to protons? e.g. a concrete example: what are the two dissociations of Ca(OH)2? I would think the reactions were Ca(OH)2   ::equil:: CaOH+ + OH- and CaOH+  ::equil:: Ca2+ + OH- but there does not appear to be proton association here ...

Offline AWK

• Retired Staff
« Reply #8 on: April 11, 2013, 02:44:23 AM »
For pH calculations we treat calcium hydroxide as a strong base
AWK

Offline Big-Daddy

« Reply #9 on: April 11, 2013, 07:09:45 AM »
For pH calculations we treat calcium hydroxide as a strong base

That isn't relevant to my question. I was just using calcium hydroxide as an example, my real question relates to the (weak) base B(OH)m and whether I am writing the Kb expressions for it correctly, since it does not seem to be associating to any protons, only dissociating hydroxide ions.

Sponsored Links