April 28, 2024, 08:55:47 AM
Forum Rules: Read This Before Posting

Topic: Change of state question - liquid to solid  (Read 11252 times)

moside

Change of state question - liquid to solid
« on: February 02, 2006, 03:55:45 PM »
Hi

As you can see this is my first post and I also have to confess to being a total chemistry novice.

I'm looking for assistance in identifying a chemical compund (if this is the right phrase) that I'm pretty sure I once saw on a TV science show. As far as I can remember the substance came in a liquid form but when it was hit with a sudden impact it would solidify. The demonstration showed the TV presenter slowly putting their finger into the liquid and then demonstrating that if they tried to punch it then it would solidify and absorb the impact.

Does this mean anything to anyone? Even if its only pointing me in the direction of something similar then that would be a huge help. I'm trying to incorporate this chemical compund(?) into a product design and would like a name so I can research it and give the project some validity.

any help is much appreciated

thank you so much

Offline Bakegaku

• Mole Snacks: +20/-5
  • Hydrogen peroxide is my miracle cure to everything
Re:Change of state question - liquid to solid
« Reply #1 on: February 02, 2006, 07:25:57 PM »
I believe they're called liquid crystal.  They're used in a number of electronic appliances... I hope you're able to derive something from this.
"True knowledge exists in knowing that you know nothing"
-Socrates

"I see, I forget.  I hear, I remember.  I do, I understand"
-Confucius

"Nothing will benefit human health and increase chances for survival of life on Earth as much as the evolution to a vegetarian diet."
- Albert Einstein?

"American cartoons place characters in situations; anime
places situations around characters.  Anime characters
are not like fictional characters but more like fictional
people; their actions stem directly from their personalities,
and not just as a means to move the story's plot
forward.  We are made to sympathize with them, and
not simply be entertained by them."
~John Oppliger~

Offline AWK

• Retired Staff
  • Mole Snacks: +555/-93
« Reply #2 on: February 03, 2006, 03:55:42 AM »
Sodium thiosulfate , when warming) melts in its crystallization water, and easily forms a supercooled liquid.
This liquid,  when shaken, suddenly crystallizes.
AWK

Offline jdurg

• Banninator
  • Retired Staff
  • Mole Snacks: +106/-23
  • I am NOT a freak.
« Reply #3 on: February 03, 2006, 09:06:34 AM »
Sodium thiosulfate , when warming) melts in its crystallization water, and easily forms a supercooled liquid.
This liquid,  when shaken, suddenly crystallizes.

I was going to reply with that too, but that isn't what the OP was asking about.   ;D  The substance the OP is referring to will act as a solid if it is hit with some force, but will immediately become liquid again when the force is removed.  With sodium thiosulfate, once it crystalizes it doesn't "uncrystalize" on its own.  I've seen the substance the OP is referring to before and I believe that it is a viscous liquid with a very high surface tension which causes the "solid" feeling when you pound on it.  The liquid itself doesn't actually turn into a solid, but the very high surface tension is able to absorb a strong impact.
"A real fart is beefy, has a density greater than or equal to the air surrounding it, consists

moside

« Reply #4 on: February 03, 2006, 12:18:19 PM »
jdurg

that sounds exactly like what i'm thinking about.

i think it was indeed the surface tension that resisted the impact rather than the liquid actually turning solid (sorry for getting this wrong). have you any idea what this substance might be called or where i can perhaps start looking for information on it? I originally saw the demonstration on a UK science show called tomorrow's world but it was a long time ago.

thanks for all your help guys, like i said i'm a total novice and i have wasted many an hour on google trying to find leads on this.

all ideas / leads greatly appreciated

Offline jdurg

• Banninator
  • Retired Staff
  • I am NOT a freak.
« Reply #5 on: February 03, 2006, 02:01:19 PM »
I think what you are looking for is known as a rheopexic gel.  It's a substance that hardens when subjected to shearing or stresses such as being hit with a hammer or fist.  A similar substance is a sand/water mixture.  If you slowly put your finger in it, you'll go down into the stuff without a problem.  If you try and smack it with your fist, however, it's like punching a brick wall.   :P
"A real fart is beefy, has a density greater than or equal to the air surrounding it, consists

moside

« Reply #6 on: February 03, 2006, 04:48:15 PM »
jdurg

thanks again. just checked out rheopexic gel on google and it seems like its the stuff i'm on about. unfortunately it seems like alot of other people have thought of similar potential uses for it as myself. still i guess in a way its a positive sign that i'm clearly thinking in the right way, just a shame i'm years too late.

thanks for the help everyone, it was really really appreciated

moside

« Reply #7 on: February 04, 2006, 03:41:12 AM »
although i have found some information relating to rheopexic gel on google in mainly relates to patents being lodged for its use. do you think it would be worth starting a new post with rheopexic gel as the title to see if i can find out any more about it?

i would go and do this but as i'm new i'm not exactly sure what forum i'm best doing this in, would it just be this one?

thanks

Offline jdurg

• Banninator
  • Retired Staff
  • I am NOT a freak.
« Reply #8 on: February 04, 2006, 09:25:31 AM »
Go ahead and place it where you think it would fit.  If it is decided later on that it would be better off someplace else we'll just move it.   ;D

Sponsored Links