March 28, 2024, 10:37:21 AM
Forum Rules: Read This Before Posting

Topic: galvanic cell output  (Read 14725 times)

chemicalLindsay

galvanic cell output
« on: June 29, 2004, 04:55:38 AM »
I know this may not be all chemistry but in the galvanic cell that I have constructed I get an average output of about 0.3 volts and a range between 2-16 milliamperes.Does anyone have any ideas of how I could get such a small output to run a relay or switch a circuit (I have tried using a transformer but it didn't seem to work however I might be using the wrong transformer,please help).

Online billnotgatez

• Global Moderator
  • Mole Snacks: +223/-62
Re:galvanic cell output
« Reply #1 on: June 29, 2004, 06:07:14 AM »
It is my impression that transformers typically use AC rather than DC.
Try constructing a solenoid that uses less electricity.

Offline Donaldson Tan

• Editor, New Asia Republic
  • Retired Staff
  • Mole Snacks: +261/-13
    • New Asia Republic
« Reply #2 on: June 29, 2004, 12:26:06 PM »
You can always re-construct the original Daniel Cell
"Say you're in a [chemical] plant and there's a snake on the floor. What are you going to do? Call a consultant? Get a meeting together to talk about which color is the snake? Employees should do one thing: walk over there and you step on the friggin� snake." - Jean-Pierre Garnier, CEO of Glaxosmithkline, June 2006

Corvettaholic

« Reply #3 on: June 29, 2004, 01:51:54 PM »
you're getting DC output from your cell, you need to convert it to AC which is a lot harder than going the other way around. radioshack should sell some IC's that'll let you pulse it "good enough" for it to work in a transformer.

chemicalLindsay

« Reply #4 on: June 30, 2004, 05:19:00 AM »
I don't know where to buy it from radio shack but couldn't I just use a bridge rectifier (diode)

Corvettaholic

« Reply #5 on: June 30, 2004, 03:16:19 PM »
yeah I guess you could. well what kind of AC frequency do you want? Maybe you could pick up an oscillator, but thats used mostly for radio. mmm... radio... maybe you could use the output from your cell and feed it directly to an osciallator and antenna... I think www.scitoys.com has info on that if you're interested, I know I am!

chemicalLindsay

« Reply #6 on: June 30, 2004, 11:44:03 PM »
well I really want to keep it as simple circuitry wise as possible so that there is less room for error and so that I don't get frustrated when it doesent work.All I want to do is transform the voltage and amperage up into amuch larger amperage so that it can run something.

Corvettaholic

« Reply #7 on: July 01, 2004, 07:40:17 PM »
Do a google search for DC to AC conversion, and I'll bet you'll find a cheap, easy to use part that will do the job for you.

chemicalLindsay

« Reply #8 on: July 04, 2004, 01:16:22 AM »
thanks

Sponsored Links