April 18, 2024, 05:09:43 AM
Forum Rules: Read This Before Posting

Topic: Difference between cooking oil and petroleum  (Read 4247 times)

Offline zak

• Very New Member
  • Mole Snacks: +0/-1
Difference between cooking oil and petroleum
« on: April 11, 2013, 03:27:03 PM »
Hi,

I am confused about the difference between cooking oil and petroleum?  What is the main thing that differentiate it?I have searched it but i didnot got satisfactory results.  I need details and it would be great if someone can provide me any reference or book which have all the details about it.

Thanks

zak

Offline curiouscat

• Chemist
  • Mole Snacks: +121/-35
Re: Difference between cooking oil and petroleum
« Reply #1 on: April 11, 2013, 04:02:11 PM »
I need details and it would be great if someone can provide me any reference or book which have all the details about it.

Google?

Offline Arkcon

• Retired Staff
  • Mole Snacks: +533/-147
« Reply #2 on: April 11, 2013, 04:15:00 PM »
Cooking oil and petroleum are mixtures, so they contain populations of various compounds.  That said, if you look them up, you will find some examples, and you will see some obvious similarities, and some obvious differences.  And the place you find should have some info on why the differences are important for some of their properties.  Wikipedia is a good start.  Just be prepared for lots of link clicking, before you understand the problem.
« Last Edit: April 11, 2013, 06:44:58 PM by Arkcon »
Hey, I'm not judging.  I just like to shoot straight.  I'm a man of science.

Offline vmelkon

• Chemist
  • Mole Snacks: +28/-10
« Reply #3 on: April 15, 2013, 05:31:14 PM »
Cooking oil comes from plants and it is usually liquid. Plants produce a variety of oils. You probably have heard the term monounsaturated fatty acids,  polyunsaturated fatty acids, saturated, omega-3, omega-6, omega-9.
Have a look at the molecule of a few of these. They all have a  3 carbon backbone.

Petroleum? I'm going to assume this means mineral oil or petroleum oil. These are straight chain alkanes. Again,it is best to look at the molecule and compare to cooking oils.

Sponsored Links