April 24, 2024, 12:16:06 AM
Forum Rules: Read This Before Posting

Topic: Hofmann Elimination Question  (Read 3273 times)

Offline Cooper

• Mole Snacks: +2/-5
  • Undergraduate Biochemistry Major Class of 2015
Hofmann Elimination Question
« on: April 11, 2013, 05:06:58 PM »
Hi,

My book says that the Hofmann Elimination yields mainly non-Zaitsev alkenes, and I was a little confused by their explanation. It says that because in Hofmann Eliminations the LG is charged, the transition state resembles more of a carbanion than an alkene, like in an elimination with a neutral LG. Why is this so? Is it just fact?

Thanks
~Cooper :)

Offline orgopete

• Chemist
  • Mole Snacks: +213/-71
    • Curved Arrow Press
Re: Hofmann Elimination Question
« Reply #1 on: April 11, 2013, 10:21:34 PM »
You can look at it by rationalizing the products. The Hofmann product is the result of loss of the most acidic proton (that is a primary H). The Zaitsev product receives electrons from the most electron rich carbon.

The greater that one has E1-like conditions, the greater the Zaitsev product. The poorer the leaving group, the greater the Hofmann product.

Your book appears to be trying to capture how these products form in a transition state argument.
Author of a multi-tiered example based workbook for learning organic chemistry mechanisms.

Offline Cooper

« Reply #2 on: April 12, 2013, 12:30:04 PM »
The greater that one has E1-like conditions, the greater the Zaitsev product. The poorer the leaving group, the greater the Hofmann product.

But isn't the amine an excellent leaving group?

Offline orgopete

• Chemist
  • Mole Snacks: +213/-71
    • Curved Arrow Press
« Reply #3 on: April 12, 2013, 03:14:09 PM »

Let's think about it. Let's use the pKa of acids to judge leaving group ability. The stronger the acid, the better the leaving group.

HI, -10
HBr, -9
HCl, -7
HF, 3.7
Me3NH(+), 11

Iodide and bromide give the least amount of Hofmann products under all conditions. Chloride can give either in examples I have found. Ammonium salts give the least. I interpret this as an ammonium salt, although still a leaving group, has the least pull of neighboring electrons of the leaving groups. As a consequence, proton acidity plays a greater role.
Author of a multi-tiered example based workbook for learning organic chemistry mechanisms.

Offline Cooper

« Reply #4 on: April 12, 2013, 08:04:51 PM »

Let's think about it. Let's use the pKa of acids to judge leaving group ability. The stronger the acid, the better the leaving group.

HI, -10
HBr, -9
HCl, -7
HF, 3.7
Me3NH(+), 11

Iodide and bromide give the least amount of Hofmann products under all conditions. Chloride can give either in examples I have found. Ammonium salts give the least. I interpret this as an ammonium salt, although still a leaving group, has the least pull of neighboring electrons of the leaving groups. As a consequence, proton acidity plays a greater role.

Oh, okay, makes sense. Thanks :) I was just thinking it would be a good leaving group because it would be neutral.

Sponsored Links