April 28, 2024, 09:23:52 PM
Forum Rules: Read This Before Posting

Topic: EDTA complexes at pH 5  (Read 9124 times)

Offline PoetryInMotion

• Mole Snacks: +1/-0
EDTA complexes at pH 5
« on: April 13, 2013, 02:47:49 PM »
Hi! I am currently facing the following exercise:

Give the chemical equation for the EDTA-Na2 titration reaction for
a) magnesium ions at pH 10 and
b) zink ions at pH 5 and

The answer on a) is found in the text book:
[tex]\mathrm{Mg^{2+} + H_2EDTA^{2-} \longrightarrow\: MgEDTA^{2-} + 2H^+}\,.[/tex]
At such a high pH as the one in b), however, the EDTA4- ion isn't stable at all (αY4-≈0), which makes me uncertain of whether it is possible to form any ZnEDTA2- complex at all :/  A table in my book says that EDTA and zink ions reacts quantitatively at pH 4-5, so I guess some kind of complex must be formed, but as far as I know, only EDTA4- complexes are possible... Anyone who knows? Thanking you in advance :)
« Last Edit: April 13, 2013, 03:56:36 PM by poetryinmotion »
Undergraduate student majoring in chemistry and mathematics. Former IChO participant.

Offline Borek

• Mr. pH
  • Administrator
  • Deity Member
  • Mole Snacks: +1801/-410
  • I am known to be occasionally wrong.
    • Chembuddy
Re: EDTA-complexes at pH 5
« Reply #1 on: April 13, 2013, 04:06:00 PM »
however, the EDTA4- ion isn't stable at all (αY4-≈0)

Please elaborate - that's the first time I hear about EDTA4- being unstable. At pH high enough it dominates EDTA solutions. At pH around 4-5 its concentration is very low, but it has nothing to do with the stability (could be it is a matter of terminology).

In both cases the product is MeEDTA2-, so the reaction equation is just a matter of finding the dominating HnEDTA-4+n ion.
ChemBuddy chemical calculators - stoichiometry, pH, concentration, buffer preparation, titrations.info

Offline PoetryInMotion

« Reply #2 on: April 13, 2013, 04:42:00 PM »
Thanks for your answer, but still I think I'm a bit confused  :-\

If we take a look at the formation equilibrium of ZnEDTA2-,
[tex]\mathrm{Zn^{2+} + H_2EDTA^{2-} \rightleftharpoons\: ZnEDTA^{2-} + 2H^+}\,,[/tex]
I can't help wondering why the low concentration of H2EDTA2- does shift the equilibrium to the left, and thus gives a rather low value on the formation constant of ZnEDTA2-? If that's the case, it contrasts with the textbook authors, who claim that zink ions and EDTA reacts "quantitatively" at pH 5.

Please elaborate - that's the first time I hear about EDTA4- being unstable. At pH high enough it dominates EDTA solutions. At pH around 4-5 its concentration is very low, but it has nothing to do with the stability (could be it is a matter of terminology).
Sorry for my confusing terminology. What I meant was that the molar fraction of EDTA4− will be very low at pH 5. Stability is, just like you say, something completely different.

In both cases the product is MeEDTA2-, so the reaction equation is just a matter of finding the dominating HnEDTA-4+n ion.
Hmm. Don't you think it is better to stick with H2EDTA2- on the left side, since the titrant consists of Na2EDTA solution?
Undergraduate student majoring in chemistry and mathematics. Former IChO participant.

Offline Borek

• Mr. pH
  • Administrator
  • Deity Member
    • Chembuddy
« Reply #3 on: April 13, 2013, 04:44:58 PM »
giving a rather low value on the formation constant of ZnEDTA2-.

1016.5 is not that low.

Hmm. Don't you think it is better to stick with H2EDTA2- on the left side, since the titrant consists of Na2EDTA solution?

Not if you are buffering the solution at some other pH.
ChemBuddy chemical calculators - stoichiometry, pH, concentration, buffer preparation, titrations.info

Offline PoetryInMotion

Re: EDTA complexes at pH 5
« Reply #4 on: April 13, 2013, 04:56:23 PM »
When I said "formation constant" I meant the so-called "stability constant", β', which should be close to 1, if the reaction should be regarded as quantitative. According to the text book β' depends on the molar fraction of both the EDTA4- ion and the free metal ion.

What I meant was that a low molar fraction of EDTA4- shifts the equilibrium Zn + EDTA4-  ::equil:: ZnEDTA2- to the left, and gives a lower β'. Something similar to this is discussed at the first page of http://www.udel.edu/chem/beebe/Chem120/Chem120%20LAB2EDTATitration.pdf.

Again, sorry for messing up the terminology :)

Offline Borek

• Mr. pH
  • Administrator
  • Deity Member
    • Chembuddy
« Reply #5 on: April 13, 2013, 06:02:40 PM »
Please write definitions of formation constant and stability constant.

Sounds to me like your β' is so called conditional stability constant. But if so, β' close to 1 doesn't sound good to me - I would expect you need much higher values for the ion to be quantitatively complexed. Perhaps it is a matter of definition again.

Quit and dirty calculations show that formation constant for Zn complex is high enough to ensure high conditional constant in slightly acidic solutions. But it was a rather rough evaluation.

Offline PoetryInMotion

« Reply #6 on: April 14, 2013, 07:02:15 AM »
Have revised some parts of the EDTA chapter and you are right, the full definitions are are as follows (using Zn2+ as an example), meaning that the formation constant should be much more than 1 in order for the reaction to considered quantitivave:

Formation constant: [tex]\normalsize\mathrm{K_f=\frac{[ZnY^{2-}]}{[Zn^{2+}][Y^{4-}]}}[/tex]
Effective formation constant: [tex]\normalsize\mathrm{K_f^{\prime\prime}=\alpha_{Zn^{2+}} \alpha_{Y^{4-}}K_f}\,,[/tex] where alpha is the molar rations.

In this case the molar ratio of free zink ion is high (there are essentially no zink hydroxide formed at this pH) and the molar ratio of EDTA4- is about 10-7. That means that the effetive formation constant is approximately 109.5. I guess that's enough to consider the reaction quantitative.

Surprisingly enough I also found an handout from some weeks ago where reaction formulas on the form
Me + H2EDTA2- :rarrow: MeH2EDTA
are occasionally used at low pH.

Is that even possible? It would be interesting to compare the effective formation constant forZnH2EDTA with that for ZnEDTA2-, but I haven't found any relevant data on protonated EDTA complexes, except from this document http://www.publish.csiro.au/?act=view_file&file_id=EN12103_AC.pdf. What do you think?

Offline Borek

• Mr. pH
  • Administrator
  • Deity Member
    • Chembuddy
« Reply #7 on: April 14, 2013, 07:27:22 AM »
http://www.chembuddy.com/?left=pH-calculation&right=pH-polyprotic-acid-base

See equations 9.11-9.13 for formulas to calculate speciation of the multiprotic acid (equations are for diprotic, but they are very easy to generalize). Just plug [H+], total concentration of EDTA and known Ka values (note: these are overall dissociation constants, not stepwise ones) and you will known concentration of EDTA4-.

Offline PoetryInMotion

« Reply #8 on: April 14, 2013, 08:05:36 AM »
http://www.chembuddy.com/?left=pH-calculation&right=pH-polyprotic-acid-base

See equations 9.11-9.13 for formulas to calculate speciation of the multiprotic acid (equations are for diprotic, but they are very easy to generalize). Just plug [H+], total concentration of EDTA and known Ka values (note: these are overall dissociation constants, not stepwise ones) and you will known concentration of EDTA4-.
Thank you. I have now found out that α(EDTA4-)=2.9*10-7 and that α(H2EDTA2-)=0.93 at a pH of 5. To determine the two different Kf'' values, I also need the Kf for ZnEDTA2- and ZnH2EDTA respectively.

The document I linked to before gives some values on these constants, but according to them Kf would be higher for ZnH2EDTA than for ZnEDTA2-. To me, that feels rather unlikely, but then, on the other hand, I'm a total beginner on analytical chemistry :-/
« Last Edit: April 14, 2013, 09:58:55 AM by poetryinmotion »

Offline PoetryInMotion

« Reply #9 on: July 08, 2013, 09:05:21 AM »
Oh, this year's preparatory problems for IChO seem to deal with something very similar to exercise b above. Guess it could be interesting for this thread. The problem is presented on page 57 at http://icho2013.chem.msu.ru/materials/Preparatory_problems_IChO_2013.pdf and the solution on page 35 at http://icho2013.chem.msu.ru/materials/Solutions_15_to_35.pdf

What happens is basically that brass is digested in nitric acid and then titrated with EDTA at a pH of 5.5-6.0. In the worked solutions presented above they actually use ZnH2EDTA in the reaction formula and motivates it with effective stability constants similar to those mentioned above. What do you guys here think? Can this possibly be correct or is the usage of ZnEDTA2- more reasonable? Perhaps both complexes have a high enough K'' value to co-exist at pH≈6?
« Last Edit: July 08, 2013, 09:21:45 AM by PoetryInMotion »

Sponsored Links