April 27, 2024, 02:21:05 AM
Forum Rules: Read This Before Posting

Topic: Gasses: Write a correctly balanced chemical equation with physical states  (Read 4619 times)

danshodan

Hi,
I need help with this problem.

The Sweedish chemist Karl Wilhellm was first to produce chlorine in the laboratory. He
reacted sodium chloride, sulf uric acid, and aqueous manganese dioxide which produced sodium
sulfate, manganese (II) sulf ate, water, and chlorine gas.

a)   Write a correctly balanced chemical equation with physical states of each substance.
b)   If he obtained 344.6g of sodium sulfate, how many liters of chlorine gas and how many
grams of water could he theoretically obtain if the reaction was done at STP?  ??? ??? ???

Thanks for your help ;D
« Last Edit: February 03, 2006, 10:36:52 PM by Mitch »

kkrizka

Re:Gasses
« Reply #1 on: February 03, 2006, 10:23:27 PM »
a) What's the problem? You have the whole reaction writen out in word form, all you need to do is add + and the states. Remember that if something is an acid then it is dissolved in water or aquadeous. And since you are adding NaCl to this watery solution it will be aquadeous too.

b) Use stoichiometry. Find out how many moles of Na2SO4 you have and this equals number of moles of Cl2 produced (1:1 ratios). Then use the gas law to find the volume. STP means that the pressure is 1.0 atm and temperature is 25C. Do the same with water, just with molar mass instead of gas laws.

danshodan

Re:Gasses: Write a correctly balanced chemical equation with physical states
« Reply #2 on: February 04, 2006, 02:57:34 PM »
kkrizka,
i took your advice and did the following. Can you please tell me if i am correct?
Thanks ;)

a) 2NaCl(s) + 2H2SO4(aq) + MnO2(aq) --> Na2SO4(aq) + MnSO4(aq) + 2H2O(l) + Cl2(g)

b) Given that I balanced the equation correctly, Na2SO4 is 142.05g/mol, and STP is 22.4L/mol:

344.6g X    1mol       X      1mol Cl2            X    22.4L
               ----------       ---------------           --------
                142.05g         1mol Na2SO4             mol

Answer for  is: 54.3L

Offline Borek

• Mr. pH
  • Administrator
  • Deity Member
  • Mole Snacks: +1801/-410
  • I am known to be occasionally wrong.
    • Chembuddy
« Reply #3 on: February 04, 2006, 03:01:31 PM »
Answer for  is: 54.3L

OK, although STP is 0°C
ChemBuddy chemical calculators - stoichiometry, pH, concentration, buffer preparation, titrations.info

lincolnsteffens

« Reply #4 on: February 04, 2006, 04:39:04 PM »
OK, although STP is 0°C
22.4 L/mol at 0 Celsius and 1 atm, 24.4 L/mol at 25 Celsius and 1 atm

Sponsored Links