April 26, 2024, 06:05:32 AM
Forum Rules: Read This Before Posting

Topic: Numerical regarding the Law of Constant Composition  (Read 2445 times)

Offline aaronstonedd

• Very New Member
  • Mole Snacks: +0/-0
Numerical regarding the Law of Constant Composition
« on: April 19, 2013, 12:32:50 PM »
The numerical in it's full glory:
10 mL (sic) of hydrogen combine (sic) with 5 mL (sic) of oxygen to yield water. When 200 mL (sic) of hydrogen at NTP are (sic) passed over heated CuO, the latter loses 0.144 g of its mass. Do these results agree with the law of constant composition?

• Do hydrogen and oxygen refer to
    (i) "H" and "O", or
    (ii) "H2 and O2, or
    (iii) "H2 and O?
  • What results are we supposed to expect, that can clarify whether "these results" agree with the law of constant proportions?
    What is the step-by-step procedure we have to follow to get "the results ... we are supposed to expect"?

Offline Borek

• Mr. pH
  • Administrator
  • Deity Member
  • Mole Snacks: +1801/-410
  • I am known to be occasionally wrong.
    • Chembuddy
Re: Numerical regarding the Law of Constant Composition
« Reply #1 on: April 19, 2013, 12:51:01 PM »
H2 (sic) and O2 (sic).

Apparently you should check if the oxygen/hydrogen proportion is identical in each case (sic).
ChemBuddy chemical calculators - stoichiometry, pH, concentration, buffer preparation, titrations.info

Offline opsomath

• Chemist
  • Mole Snacks: +50/-8
« Reply #2 on: April 19, 2013, 02:15:46 PM »
Dear OP, I think you have fallen afoul of Muphry's Law in your use of "it's" and your many, many uses of "sic".

It isn't correct to ask the internet for a step by step procedure to figure out your results; part of the question is whether you can figure that out, I think.

So, let me ask you this in turn; what chemical reaction is going on here? Write its balanced equation.

Offline Arkcon

• Retired Staff
  • Mole Snacks: +533/-147
« Reply #3 on: April 19, 2013, 02:31:17 PM »
I think you can assume that H2 and O2 are being used.  These gasses are diatomic, we can't "pass over" or "combine" H and O.  Those may be used to visualize reactions, but they're not things we can measure.  A tank full of hydrogen or oxygen, we can measure those as full or empty, and they'll contain diatomic gasses.
Hey, I'm not judging.  I just like to shoot straight.  I'm a man of science.

Sponsored Links