April 24, 2024, 02:15:10 PM
Forum Rules: Read This Before Posting

Topic: Organic "research" problem  (Read 2389 times)

Offline zmasterflex

• Mole Snacks: +1/-0
Organic "research" problem
« on: April 19, 2013, 05:57:44 AM »
My professor gave us a literature writing assignment. I have found that it has previously been discussed on this website but I need to write a comprehensive paper with sources. I've looked through ACS and JSTOR and I have yet to find anything related to this specific reaction or it's mechanism. I need guidance as to what to search for. I'm not asking for the answer, just a way to help me find an answer. The question is "Contemplate the Williamson ether reaction involving trans‐1‐methoxy‐2‐chlorocyclohexane and sodium methoxide. Rationalize the formation of the major observed substitution product." It has something to do with anchimeric assistance and he wants us to focus on the SN2 aspect of the reaction. I've searched for all combinations of the words "SN2" "anchimeric assistance" "Williamson Ether" "Sodium Methoxide" and of course the reactant also. I have found nothing that helps me. Any ideas   as to what I should be looking for? Maybe a class of reactions or class of compounds? I am lost. Thanks

Offline sjb

• Global Moderator
  • Mole Snacks: +222/-42
Re: Organic "research" problem
« Reply #1 on: April 19, 2013, 06:57:40 AM »
My professor gave us a literature writing assignment. I have found that it has previously been discussed on this website but I need to write a comprehensive paper with sources. I've looked through ACS and JSTOR and I have yet to find anything related to this specific reaction or it's mechanism. I need guidance as to what to search for. I'm not asking for the answer, just a way to help me find an answer. The question is "Contemplate the Williamson ether reaction involving trans‐1‐methoxy‐2‐chlorocyclohexane and sodium methoxide. Rationalize the formation of the major observed substitution product." It has something to do with anchimeric assistance and he wants us to focus on the SN2 aspect of the reaction. I've searched for all combinations of the words "SN2" "anchimeric assistance" "Williamson Ether" "Sodium Methoxide" and of course the reactant also. I have found nothing that helps me. Any ideas   as to what I should be looking for? Maybe a class of reactions or class of compounds? I am lost. Thanks

What would the product be if the reaction proceeded purely under SN2 conditions? Perhaps look for "neighbo[u]ring group participation" too, as an alternate to "anchimeric assistance"

(edit to recode, forgot about underline ;) )
« Last Edit: April 19, 2013, 07:46:56 AM by sjb »

Offline opsomath

• Chemist
  • Mole Snacks: +50/-8
« Reply #2 on: April 19, 2013, 10:02:19 AM »
Do you have access to SciFinder on your campus? That is the best way to find the outcome of a particular reaction.

Also, do you understand what is going on chemically in this reaction? Try drawing the cyclohexane chair structures.

Offline zmasterflex

• Mole Snacks: +1/-0
« Reply #3 on: April 19, 2013, 04:06:40 PM »
This particular reaction is discussed on this website so I have an idea of what happens. I also have a previous professor whom I asked separately and he gave me a similar mechanism and answer. I've printed out several articles regarding anchimeric assistance (or neighboring group participation). The problem is that the journals that I have discuss the reactions of products that are very different than this reactant (halocycloalkane with a methoxy group one carbon over). I need to cite something that's relevant. The school I'm in doesn't have JACS subscription for undergrads and everything that I find cited I have to go to the library basement, comb through the journals, and carry them up the steps to copy them. I don't mind the work I just cant find sources that are relevant.

Sponsored Links