April 26, 2024, 10:24:36 PM
Forum Rules: Read This Before Posting

Topic: Predict the product of this scheme( alcohol synthesis/ aldehyde and ketone)  (Read 3750 times)

Offline GamerTheRock

• Mole Snacks: +0/-0
The problem is a tree diagram of the following molecule, what will the molecule change to with each regent. i also have pictures of the problem . i have done the synthesis but part C does the aldehyde open back up or not and the secondary alcohol would it change to a ketone ?

The starting molecule is : 4-bromobutanal

A) Ethylene Glycol/ HA
B)Mg, Et20
C) 1) CH3CHO 2) H+
D)CH3OH / H+

Offline discodermolide

• Chemist
  • Mole Snacks: +405/-70
    • My research history
The problem is a tree diagram of the following molecule, what will the molecule change to with each regent. i also have pictures of the problem . i have done the synthesis but part C does the aldehyde open back up or not and the secondary alcohol would it change to a ketone ?

The starting molecule is : 4-bromobutanal

A) Ethylene Glycol/ HA
B)Mg, Et20
C) 1) CH3CHO 2) H+
D)CH3OH / H+

What do you mean "does the aldehyde open up"?
There is no oxidising agent anywhere I can see so how can you form a ketone?
By the way the pictures are not much of a help, half the information is missing and they are difficult to make out.
Development Chemists do it on Scale, Research Chemists just do it!
My Research History

Offline GamerTheRock

What I mean to say is that under ethylene glycol is a protecting group with protects the aldehyde then mgbr (ginyard) is formed and when that is reacted with ch3cho it should make an 2 alchol. I don't understand with that job of h+/ h20 is after this attack. And then last reagent attach the product with ch3oh / h+ would that make an acetal at the carbonyl.

Offline discodermolide

• Chemist
  • Mole Snacks: +405/-70
    • My research history
The acid added after the Grignard reaction is for the work up of the reaction, nothing else.
Development Chemists do it on Scale, Research Chemists just do it!
My Research History

Offline Dan

• Retired Staff
  • Mole Snacks: +469/-72
  • Organic Chemist
    • My research
It is hard to tell what was intended because "H+, H2O" are very vague conditions, .

It could be a simple protic workup, or it could be acetal hydrolysis. Unless there is a multiple choice answer for compound III you can't be sure.

Compound IV will be the same regardless of whether the acetal hydrolyses.
My research: Google Scholar and Researchgate

Offline GamerTheRock

these are the multiple choices i have figured out that compound C has to be choice C and the H+/h20 are just part of the reagents but i don't understand how does compound D turn into a cyclic molecule and what would be the best choice. please help

Offline Dan

• Retired Staff
  • Mole Snacks: +469/-72
  • Organic Chemist
    • My research
these are the multiple choices i have figured out that compound C has to be choice C

Compound III is C, agreed.

i don't understand how does compound D turn into a cyclic molecule and what would be the best choice. please help

You mean how is compound III turned into a cyclic molecule IV?

Look up acetal formation, and bear in mind that it is reversible under acidic conditions. Sugars may give you some inspiration..
My research: Google Scholar and Researchgate

Sponsored Links