April 27, 2024, 01:01:02 PM
Forum Rules: Read This Before Posting

Topic: Preparation of Buffer Solutions  (Read 3100 times)

Offline vickca86

• Mole Snacks: +0/-0
Preparation of Buffer Solutions
« on: April 21, 2013, 02:19:36 PM »
This question is irritating the hell out of me and my tutor had no idea how to solve it.

One liter of a buffer solution is prepared by dissolving 0.115 mol of NaNO2 and 0.070 mol of HCl in water. What is the pH of this solution? If the solution is diluted twofold with water, what is the pH?

The thought just occurred to me that this may be a trick question in some regard since HCl is a strong acid and NaNO2 is a salt of a weak acid, but I haven't came across a trick question in the previous 19 chapters so I'm banking on a typo?

The only other way I could possibly think to solve this is:

NaNO2 + H2O ----> NaOH + HNO2 then
HNO2 + H2O ----> H3O+ + NO2- and then
HCl + H2O -----> H3O+ + Cl-

add the [] of H3O+ and use the pH = pKa+log[CB/A] formula, but then my problem is what pKa value do I use?

I keep going back to the answer being whatever the pH of HCl calculates out to be and then for the second part dividing the [HCl] by half and using that pH value.

I know I'm over thinking this, I just don't understand why the text book would give a question like this when it doesn't fall into the normal way the book gives chapter questions.

Offline Borek

• Mr. pH
  • Administrator
  • Deity Member
  • Mole Snacks: +1801/-410
  • I am known to be occasionally wrong.
    • Chembuddy
Re: Preparation of Buffer Solutions
« Reply #1 on: April 21, 2013, 04:44:48 PM »
Nothing tricky about this problem.

NO2- is a base, it gets protonated by the strong acid, producing HNO2.

Change the tutor.
ChemBuddy chemical calculators - stoichiometry, pH, concentration, buffer preparation, titrations.info

Offline Babcock_Hall

• Chemist
  • Mole Snacks: +321/-22
« Reply #2 on: April 22, 2013, 09:05:11 AM »
@OP, Once the HCl is consumed by the base, what are the final concentrations of the acid and the base?

Offline vickca86

• Mole Snacks: +0/-0
« Reply #3 on: April 22, 2013, 10:17:05 AM »
Well, there is more base than acid so HCl = 0 and NaNO2 = 0.045

Offline Borek

• Mr. pH
  • Administrator
  • Deity Member
  • Mole Snacks: +1801/-410
  • I am known to be occasionally wrong.
    • Chembuddy
« Reply #4 on: April 22, 2013, 11:11:43 AM »
And HNO2?

I wonder what is the level at which this question is asked. If you are expected just to use Henderson-Hasselbalch equation you are already done - just plug and chug. But if you are expected to do the full analysis, you should calculate exact equilibrium concentrations using ICE table. Definitely more elaborate.
ChemBuddy chemical calculators - stoichiometry, pH, concentration, buffer preparation, titrations.info

Offline opsomath

• Chemist
  • Mole Snacks: +50/-8
« Reply #5 on: April 22, 2013, 01:56:14 PM »
Yeah, the only real red flag here is that the tutor couldn't solve it. The solution winds up being a straight mixture of nitrous acid and sodium nitrite, enabling you to solve it with whatever method you are taught for calculating the pH of a mixture of a weak acid and its conjugate base.

Sponsored Links