April 28, 2024, 10:19:47 PM
Forum Rules: Read This Before Posting

Topic: Amphiprotic conjugate acids  (Read 8582 times)

Offline Big-Daddy

• Mole Snacks: +28/-94
Amphiprotic conjugate acids
« on: April 23, 2013, 12:54:53 PM »
There are several conjugate bases which are amphiprotic, i.e. they can both accept a proton or lose one (or accept or lose a hydroxide). For example, H2PO4- and HPO42- are both amphiprotic. And there are salts of both of these, e.g. (NH4)2HPO4 or NH4H2PO4.

Are there any similar salts of conjugate acids which are amphiprotic? (Such that, if the salt were placed into solution, we would have to consider both the acidic and basic effects of the cationic conjugate acid.) Most don't seem to be (e.g. NH4+ will only donate a proton; realistically I don't think we need to consider the chances of it accepting a proton; NH3 does both but isn't really going to be a part of salts; NH2- will only accept a proton).

Offline Borek

• Mr. pH
  • Administrator
  • Deity Member
  • Mole Snacks: +1801/-410
  • I am known to be occasionally wrong.
    • Chembuddy
Re: Amphiprotic conjugate acids
« Reply #1 on: April 23, 2013, 01:38:32 PM »
H2PO4- is both an acid and the base at the same time, so it already fits your description.

But when it comes to cation - think harder. Plenty of compounds analogous to ammonia.
ChemBuddy chemical calculators - stoichiometry, pH, concentration, buffer preparation, titrations.info

Offline Big-Daddy

« Reply #2 on: April 23, 2013, 02:00:25 PM »
H2PO4- is both an acid and the base at the same time, so it already fits your description.

But when it comes to cation - think harder. Plenty of compounds analogous to ammonia.

A quaternary amine? But then it can only donate H, not accept. Which cations are still in a state to accept more H?

A good case would be something like Ca(OH)+, but I doubt whether the Ca(OH)+ ion exists within any salt (e.g. Ca(OH)Cl such that dissolution gives Ca(OH)+ and Cl-). So I'm not sure ...

Offline Dan

• Retired Staff
  • Mole Snacks: +469/-72
  • Organic Chemist
    • My research
« Reply #3 on: April 23, 2013, 02:56:51 PM »
So you want an amphoteric cation?

Think about compounds with two basic groups, such that if one is protonated you still have another one left in the conjugate acid.

e.g. Ethylenediamine
My research: Google Scholar and Researchgate

Offline Big-Daddy

« Reply #4 on: April 23, 2013, 03:39:34 PM »
So you want an amphoteric cation?

Think about compounds with two basic groups, such that if one is protonated you still have another one left in the conjugate acid.

e.g. Ethylenediamine

Hmm, not just an amphoteric cation, but one that can exist as part of a salt. e.g. KH2PO4 has got an amphoteric anion.

1,2-diaminoethane just seems the same as a normal diprotic base to me; the middle form is amphiprotic but is it ever found as a cation in a salt?

Offline Dan

• Retired Staff
  • Organic Chemist
    • My research
« Reply #5 on: April 23, 2013, 05:52:38 PM »
Hmm, not just an amphoteric cation, but one that can exist as part of a salt. e.g. KH2PO4 has got an amphoteric anion.

Any ion could exist as a salt, all ions need counterions. You can't buy cations and anions anions in separate bottles. Maybe I have missed the point.

1,2-diaminoethane just seems the same as a normal diprotic base to me; the middle form is amphiprotic but is it ever found as a cation in a salt?

Ethylenediamine hydrochloride (2-aminoethylammonium chloride) for example. Not sure how commercially available it is but you could make it by mixing ethylenediamine and HCl in a 1:1 mole ratio. If this is a "normal" dibasic base, what is an abnormal one?

The fact that a base is dibasic doesn't mean you can't make a salt from monoprotonation - just as a polybasic base like potassium phosphate forms salts at different stages of protonation, so can ethylenediamine.
« Last Edit: April 23, 2013, 06:02:17 PM by Borek »

Offline Big-Daddy

« Reply #6 on: April 23, 2013, 06:12:16 PM »

Any ion could exist as a salt, all ions need counterions. You can't buy cations and anions anions in separate bottles. Maybe I have missed the point.

Ethylenediamine hydrochloride (2-aminoethylammonium chloride) for example. Not sure how commercially available it is but you could make it by mixing ethylenediamine and HCl in a 1:1 mole ratio. If this is a "normal" dibasic base, what is an abnormal one?

The fact that a base is dibasic doesn't mean you can't make a salt from monoprotonation - just as a polybasic base like potassium phosphate forms salts at different stages of protonation, so can ethylenediamine.

But in the example compound of ethylenediamine hydrochloride, we've got a mixture of HCl and ethylenediamine itself; so is this essentially the same as a salt with Cl-, and the once-protonated ethylenediamine?

Offline Dan

• Retired Staff
  • Organic Chemist
    • My research
« Reply #7 on: April 24, 2013, 02:26:40 AM »
But in the example compound of ethylenediamine hydrochloride, we've got a mixture of HCl and ethylenediamine itself; so is this essentially the same as a salt with Cl-, and the once-protonated ethylenediamine?

Ethylenediamine hydrochloride is the same as 2-aminoethylammonium chloride, it is an ammonium salt. Nobody does, but you could call ammonium chloride "ammonia hydrochloride".

There are two representations: RNH2·HCl (the amine hydrochloride) and RNH3+Cl- (the ammonium salt) - both mean the same thing.

Offline Corribus

• Chemist
  • Mole Snacks: +530/-23
  • A lover of spectroscopy and chocolate.
« Reply #8 on: April 24, 2013, 10:21:53 AM »
Bicarbonate and bisulfate are two examples that fit your need.

But just keep in mind that just about anything with a proton can act as both an acid and a base.  It's all a matter of degree.  You don't think of methane being either an acid or a base, but in the presence of a strong enough base, it will lose a proton, and in the presence of a strong enough acid, it will gain a proton.  When we speak of acidity/basicity, a given substance isn't one or the other.  This is why it's better to speak in precise terms like pKa values, which are less ambiguous than "acid" or "base".

So we usually define an amphoteric species as something that "readily" can behave as either an acid or base.  What what does "readily" mean?  It's a bit up to interpretation.  Just something to think about.

What men are poets who can speak of Jupiter if he were like a man, but if he is an immense spinning sphere of methane and ammonia must be silent?  - Richard P. Feynman

Offline Big-Daddy

« Reply #9 on: April 24, 2013, 12:48:30 PM »
Bicarbonate and bisulfate are two examples that fit your need.

But just keep in mind that just about anything with a proton can act as both an acid and a base.  It's all a matter of degree.  You don't think of methane being either an acid or a base, but in the presence of a strong enough base, it will lose a proton, and in the presence of a strong enough acid, it will gain a proton.  When we speak of acidity/basicity, a given substance isn't one or the other.  This is why it's better to speak in precise terms like pKa values, which are less ambiguous than "acid" or "base".

So we usually define an amphoteric species as something that "readily" can behave as either an acid or base.  What what does "readily" mean?  It's a bit up to interpretation.  Just something to think about.

Thanks for the suggestions. But could you suggest some cations (HCO3- for instance is an anion, of which there are several examples already!)?

Yes, I was aware of this. I suppose NH4+ has a Kb value of its own, rather than just a Ka, for the equilibrium NH4+ + H2::equil:: NH52+ + OH-. But the equilibrium constant will be incredibly small so unless the solution is extremely acidic (so [OH-] is very small indeed) we won't get an appreciable yield of NH52+.

Offline Big-Daddy

« Reply #10 on: April 24, 2013, 12:49:34 PM »

Ethylenediamine hydrochloride is the same as 2-aminoethylammonium chloride, it is an ammonium salt. Nobody does, but you could call ammonium chloride "ammonia hydrochloride".

There are two representations: RNH2·HCl (the amine hydrochloride) and RNH3+Cl- (the ammonium salt) - both mean the same thing.

Thank you. This then is a strong example of what I'm looking for!

So they do exist then :p

Offline Borek

• Mr. pH
  • Administrator
  • Deity Member
  • Mole Snacks: +1801/-410
  • I am known to be occasionally wrong.
    • Chembuddy
« Reply #11 on: April 24, 2013, 01:33:27 PM »
NH52+

Never heard about something like that. As they say, paper (or computer screen) is patient and will survive everything you write/type - but just because something can be written or typed doesn't make it correct.
ChemBuddy chemical calculators - stoichiometry, pH, concentration, buffer preparation, titrations.info

Offline Big-Daddy

« Reply #12 on: April 24, 2013, 02:07:28 PM »
NH52+

Never heard about something like that. As they say, paper (or computer screen) is patient and will survive everything you write/type - but just because something can be written or typed doesn't make it correct.

Surely I justified this in my last post? I think the whole point of Corribus' post was that if things like this exist, they are almost always negligible. Maybe this association (of NH4+) is significantly less appreciable than that of CH4.

Offline Corribus

• Chemist
  • Mole Snacks: +530/-23
  • A lover of spectroscopy and chocolate.
« Reply #13 on: April 24, 2013, 02:32:22 PM »
@Borek

Just because something hasn't been observed in nature doesn't mean it can't exist.  We know CH5+ exists because it's been observed.  CH62+ has never been observed, but theory predicts it is kinetically stable enough to be observed (J. Am. Chem. SOC. 1983, 105, 5258-5263).  The acidity of this complex would be incredibly high and decomposition would probably occur even faster, but the point remains that in principle it should have a Ka value.  Therefore both methane AND even CH5+ are, strictly speaking, amphoteric, in that they can both accept and discard a proton.  (Although this isn't really a useful definition since virtually anything would qualify.)  Hence the key qualifier "readily", but this is rather subjective and any definition of "readily" would be arbitrary.

Similar unconventional compounds like diprotonated water (H4O2+) [J. Am. Chem. SOC. 1986, 108, 1032-5] have been inferred from experiments as transient species. Likewise diprotonated ammonia, the molecule under discussion, has been predicted to be kinetically stable by theoretical measurements [J. Am. Chem. Soc. 1997, 119 (20), 4594–4598.], although exposure to superacids failed to produce it experimentally, so it must be very acidic indeed (not surprising).  The same work DID show experimental evidence of the similar (CH3)3NCH42+, so it stands to reason pentavalent protonated nitrogen could exist if a strong enough acid could be found to prepare it.  The same group even did theoretical calculations of NH63+ as well as the pentavalent version and penta- and hexa-valent versions of phosphorous, arsenic and so-forth analogues. [J. Am. Chem. Soc. 1997, 119, 12984-12985] They're all predicted to be incredibly unstable, but you never know whether some experiment will be designed to observe them experimentally.  Finally, gold analogues of tetra-valent oxygen and pentavalent nitrogen have been synthesized, so those are certainly possible. [Nature 377, 503 - 504 (12 October 2002 and Nature 1990, 345, 140]. Singly-positively charged pentavalent nitrogen, NH5+, has also been experimentally observed. [Chem Phys Lett, 1988, 143, 1, 13-18.]

Point being: a lot of things haven't been observed but that doesn't mean they're not possible or that they're not "correct".  Many have been computationally studied and predicted to exist under certain conditions.  In the end the whole reason I brought it up is to say that "acidity" is a continuum concept.  If you have a strong enough acid you should be able to protonate just about anything.  How long the protonated form hangs around is a whole other issue.
What men are poets who can speak of Jupiter if he were like a man, but if he is an immense spinning sphere of methane and ammonia must be silent?  - Richard P. Feynman

Sponsored Links