March 28, 2024, 07:49:49 AM
Forum Rules: Read This Before Posting

Topic: Best way to remove filter paper from Hirsch funnel?  (Read 2671 times)

Offline vverityv

• Mole Snacks: +0/-0
Best way to remove filter paper from Hirsch funnel?
« on: April 25, 2013, 02:44:35 PM »
Hi,
  I was wondering if anyone knows the best way to remove a filter paper disc from a Hirsch funnel after the recrystallized product is dry. I try to carefully scrape the paper away from the side and then get a spatula tip under it, but I always seem to end up spilling product, or risk touching some to the side of the funnel (contamination) because the disc flattens out when the vacuum is turned off (and of course a small hill of dry crystals never wants to stay put when being lifted). 
  I know there has to be an easier way to remove these discs and not have to worry so much about losing yield or purity in the transfer. 

Any ideas? ???

Offline discodermolide

• Chemist
  • Mole Snacks: +405/-70
    • My research history
Re: Best way to remove filter paper from Hirsch funnel?
« Reply #1 on: April 25, 2013, 02:47:39 PM »
Get a larger piece of filter paper, put it on top of the filter funnel, then turn the whole lot upside down, after removing it from the flask, of course. Tap it and the contents should appear of the larger piece of filter paper.
Development Chemists do it on Scale, Research Chemists just do it!
My Research History

Offline opsomath

• Chemist
  • Mole Snacks: +50/-8
Re: Best way to remove filter paper from Hirsch funnel?
« Reply #2 on: April 25, 2013, 04:08:59 PM »
One of my favorite lab accessories is a big square of wax paper. Some labs keep t his stuff around for weighing. If not, you can get some at the grocery store, or use aluminum foil.

Get a big, smooth square of foil or wax paper. Place it over the funnel, and dump the whole thing over on it. Fish out the paper with forceps.

Often I go for the "scrape it up with a spatula" method too, usually when I have smaller amounts of product.

Bonus: on dry days, the aluminum foil acts as a great static electricity dissipator so that you don't get fluffy product flying everywhere.

Sponsored Links