April 27, 2024, 11:55:01 AM
Forum Rules: Read This Before Posting

Topic: Ions  (Read 3072 times)

Offline Petpeve1234

• Very New Member
  • Mole Snacks: +0/-0
Ions
« on: April 25, 2013, 07:29:23 PM »
Random science question, hopefully in the appropriate forum.

So, in an effort to isolate ions, just hypothetically, would it be possible to dissolve salt (Na+1Cl-1) in water (causing it to disassociate), and then run this solution through a filter that was close woven enough to only allow the Na+1 ion to pass through?

And if so, when it was all said and done, could you evaporate out the water, leaving you with the two crystal forms (would it crystallize?) of the individual ions? Would these ions individually act the same as salt?

My reasoning would be that the two isolated ions would act the same as, or similar to, salt because that when salt disassociates, it becomes a heterogeneous mixture, and yet keeps the same qualities. (ie, you don't hear people eating french fries, and then saying how they could really taste the chlorine with that bite.)

Anyways, just a query. Thanks for any responses.

Offline Borek

• Mr. pH
  • Administrator
  • Deity Member
  • Mole Snacks: +1801/-410
  • I am known to be occasionally wrong.
    • Chembuddy
Re: Ions
« Reply #1 on: April 26, 2013, 02:51:27 AM »
No, you can't separate ions this way. You can replace one ion by another ion, but the solution has to be electrically neutral.

Hint: imagine you were able to split 1 g of NaCl this way and you got two separate crystals. For obvious reason they are charged. Imagine placing them an inch apart. Calculate how strong will be the coulombic attraction between them.
ChemBuddy chemical calculators - stoichiometry, pH, concentration, buffer preparation, titrations.info

Offline opsomath

• Chemist
  • Mole Snacks: +50/-8
Re: Ions
« Reply #2 on: April 26, 2013, 10:48:47 AM »
Borek's answer is a good one.

During my freshman physics course, we performed a calculation that estimated the force that would be produced if somehow you lost 1% of the electrons in your body, assuming reasonable numbers for your mass.

The resulting electrical repulsion, we calculated, would be enough to move the planet Earth.

Sponsored Links