April 23, 2024, 06:27:35 PM
Forum Rules: Read This Before Posting

Topic: How much Calculus should I take before enrolling in P-Chem?  (Read 2645 times)

Offline doctorwho19

• Very New Member
  • Mole Snacks: +0/-0
How much Calculus should I take before enrolling in P-Chem?
« on: April 28, 2013, 12:23:38 PM »
Would two years of Calculus prior to the semester I take P-Chem and then co-enrollment with Calc III be enough? Technically only two years of Calculus are required for the major at my college-is continuing on to Calc III even worth it?

Offline stewie griffin

• Mole Snacks: +61/-7
Re: How much Calculus should I take before enrolling in P-Chem?
« Reply #1 on: April 28, 2013, 12:32:51 PM »
I took AP calculus in high school and tested out of Calc I and II. Calc III wasn't a prerequisite for physical chemistry, and since I knew I wanted to do organic chemistry in graduate school, I didn't bother with Calc III.
I was able to get thru physical chemistry just fine. Got A's in both thermodynamics and also quantum mechanics, though I will admit I didn't really know what I was doing with partial derivatives. I was smart enough to figure out how to do the math to get the answer, but at times I didn't really "know" what I was actually doing. In retrospect I wish I had taken calc III so I had I better understanding of physical chemistry. Thermodynamics pop up all over the place and it's good to have a solid background in it.
Just depends what your goals and future plans are...

Offline Corribus

• Chemist
  • Mole Snacks: +530/-23
  • A lover of spectroscopy and chocolate.
Re: How much Calculus should I take before enrolling in P-Chem?
« Reply #2 on: April 28, 2013, 01:05:49 PM »
Knowledge of integrals and derivatives is a must.  Partial derivatives (multivariable calculus) are frequently used as well.  I wouldn't suggest taking P chem without a solid background in these.  Knowledge of matrix algebra and differential equations is useful, though how much you encounter will depend on a lot on your instructor, and typically you are taught what you need to know in the course itself.
What men are poets who can speak of Jupiter if he were like a man, but if he is an immense spinning sphere of methane and ammonia must be silent?  - Richard P. Feynman

Sponsored Links