April 25, 2024, 10:48:54 AM
Forum Rules: Read This Before Posting

Topic: Inorganic Chemistry  (Read 1978 times)

Offline yellowflyingparachute

• Very New Member
  • Mole Snacks: +0/-0
Inorganic Chemistry
« on: April 29, 2013, 01:59:01 PM »
Could someone help me with this question its quite hard

A student has a mixture of Ca(oh)2 and Cuso4. What observations will he observe when he adds each of the following:

1. Water
2. Nitric Acid
3. Filter the mixture with H2SO4
4. Use this filter and add ammonia
5. Use this filter and add KI
6. Use this filter and add Fehlings Solution and place in a water bath.

Offline Arkcon

• Retired Staff
  • Mole Snacks: +533/-147
Re: Inorganic Chemistry
« Reply #1 on: April 29, 2013, 02:08:43 PM »
OK.  You're asked for observations when adding a number of reagents, and then asking (in some cases) the reaction with the next reagent, for two compounds.  If there is a reaction, or not, that is 12 separate questions.  Can you begin any of these questions?  Can you give use the answer to number one for each compound?   Since you will need it for 4, 5 and 6, can you give us the answer to number 3?  What observations can you make before you and any reagents?  You will have to know what you see at first, before you can know if there's been a change.

This is how we help, on this forum.  We give hints to help you, help yourself.  As detailed in the forum rules {click}.  Its not likely the instructor expects you to answer questions like this with beginning to prepare you for the process.  So what have you learned, lately, that would help you?
Hey, I'm not judging.  I just like to shoot straight.  I'm a man of science.

Offline yellowflyingparachute

• Very New Member
  • Mole Snacks: +0/-0
« Reply #2 on: April 29, 2013, 02:57:55 PM »
they are 12 separate questions

i think the first 2 will form a blue solution  imnot sure

Offline Arkcon

• Retired Staff
  • Mole Snacks: +533/-147
« Reply #3 on: April 29, 2013, 03:16:26 PM »
they are 12 separate questions

i think the first 2 will form a blue solution  imnot sure

I think that's correct.  But why?  Can you write out reactions for these compounds with these reagents?  That's probably more helpful, than just your observations.  You'll want to pull these manipulations into some sort of coherent discussion you can write out quickly, if something like this turns up on an exam.  Or you could just write the observations in each case.  Also, what is in Fehlings Solution?  I could go look it up (I probably will) but you will need the information to answer the question, anyway.
Hey, I'm not judging.  I just like to shoot straight.  I'm a man of science.

Sponsored Links