April 27, 2024, 04:03:11 PM
Forum Rules: Read This Before Posting

Topic: chelating ligands  (Read 3187 times)

Offline orgo814

• Mole Snacks: +11/-6
chelating ligands
« on: April 28, 2013, 06:15:38 PM »
Can someone make sure I'm correct and clear up any areas of confusion in this question? I'll show you my reasoning

Which of the following are chelating ligands? a) PO4(3-)   b) Si2O7(6-)  c) CH3-O-CH2-O-CH3   d) (CH3)3N    e) N(CH2-CO2-)3    f) [NH3CH2CH2NH3]2+

For (A)- I'm pretty sure that this is not a chelating ligand since although there are oxygen atoms that have electrons to donate they are too close to one another to chelate

For (B)- I know the structure has one oxygen bridging the two silicon atoms... Again, I think the oxygen atoms are two close to chelate but I could be wrong for this one

For (C)- It only has one -CH2 group between the two potential donor atoms (oxygen) and the book says that there should be at least two or 3 so I determined this one to not be a chelating ligand

For (D)- This one was obvious- only one nitrogen atom so it is not

For (E)- This was one is a chelating ligand since there is the nitrogen atom and the oxygen atoms which are far enough apart from eachother

For (F)- This was one was obvious that it is not a chelating ligand (no electrons to donate!)

Offline grs35

• Mole Snacks: +1/-1
Re: chelating ligands
« Reply #1 on: April 28, 2013, 10:56:54 PM »
You should draw the structures. I agree mostly. But in e, the molecule is called triethylamine and if you draw the molecule you will see it is not a chelating ligand. you will see it is not different than the molecule in d. In b, the molecule is 6- charged and it is clearly a chelating ligand. Draw the structure and you will see.

Offline sjb

• Global Moderator
  • Mole Snacks: +222/-42
« Reply #2 on: April 29, 2013, 04:55:25 AM »
You should draw the structures. I agree mostly. But in e, the molecule is called triethylamine and if you draw the molecule you will see it is not a chelating ligand. you will see it is not different than the molecule in d. In b, the molecule is 6- charged and it is clearly a chelating ligand. Draw the structure and you will see.

e is not triethylamine - don't forget the carboxylates.

Offline orgo814

• Mole Snacks: +11/-6
« Reply #3 on: April 29, 2013, 12:29:34 PM »
I did draw the structures and I disagree about E. there are three negatively charged oxygen atoms from each of those groups along with that nitrogen. Therefore, I reason it to be a chelating ligand

Offline grs35

• Mole Snacks: +1/-1
« Reply #4 on: April 29, 2013, 08:38:02 PM »

e is not triethylamine - don't forget the carboxylates.

sorry :) I wasn't really paying attention and I made a big mistake. Thanks for correcting.

Sponsored Links