April 24, 2024, 09:43:26 PM
Forum Rules: Read This Before Posting

Topic: Enthalpy of reaction  (Read 4901 times)

Offline hamil

• Mole Snacks: +0/-0
Enthalpy of reaction
« on: May 01, 2013, 07:19:27 PM »
Given: Hf in kJ/mol  (heat of formation)
H2O2 = 187.8
O2 = 0
H2O = 285.8
Calculate the enthalpy of reaction for decomposition of hydrogen peroxide into oxygen and water and determine if the reaction is exothermic or endothermic.

2H2O -> O2 + 2H2O

I calculated endothermic with heat of reaction 196 kJ

Can someone confirm or deny that I am correct.

Offline Corribus

• Chemist
  • Mole Snacks: +530/-23
  • A lover of spectroscopy and chocolate.
Re: Enthalpy of reaction
« Reply #1 on: May 01, 2013, 08:52:31 PM »
Well, it would be right, but I think your heats of formation are incorrect.  Heat of formation of water is -285.8 kJ/mol and I believe the sign for your hydrogen peroxide value is wrong as well. 
What men are poets who can speak of Jupiter if he were like a man, but if he is an immense spinning sphere of methane and ammonia must be silent?  - Richard P. Feynman

Offline hamil

« Reply #2 on: May 02, 2013, 09:16:22 AM »
So, the correct equation should be..
2(-187.8) -> 1(0) + 2(-285) + X
-374 -> -570 + X
solving gives X = 196
This means the reaction is endothermic since 196 is on the right side of the equation, yes?

Offline Corribus

• Chemist
« Reply #3 on: May 02, 2013, 09:41:45 AM »
No, the enthalpy change of the reaction, ΔH, is equal to

ΔH = 2*ΔHf {water} + ΔHf {dioxygen} - 2*ΔHf {hydrogen peroxide}

(your intitial reaction equation also has a typo)

If ΔHf {water} = -285.8 kJ/mol and ΔHf {hydrogen peroxide} = -187.8 kJ/mol and ΔHf {dioxygen} = 0, what does ΔH equal?

(Just a note - often you see this reaction written as H2O2 :rarrow: H2O + 1/2 O2.  This will impact your answer for the ΔH of the reaction.  But this is OK.  The answer you get for your reaction will be the enthalpy change for 2 moles of hydrogen peroxide decomposing.  The answer we would get for this one would be the enthalpy change for 1 mole of hydrogen peroxide decomposing.)
What men are poets who can speak of Jupiter if he were like a man, but if he is an immense spinning sphere of methane and ammonia must be silent?  - Richard P. Feynman

Offline hamil

« Reply #4 on: May 02, 2013, 10:09:59 AM »
It looks like Delta H = -196.

Now, I am a bit confused by the signs. Is the reaction endo or exo. I thought it would be endothermic.

Offline Corribus

• Chemist
« Reply #5 on: May 02, 2013, 10:48:22 AM »
Reaction is exothermic.  Assuming all the O-H bonds formed/broken have the same energy, the overall change in enthalpy comes from breaking a pretty weak oxygen-oxygen single bond (bond energy ~ 140 kJ/mol) and forming a pretty strong oxygen-oxygen pi-bond (~ 490 kJ/mol).  For every two O-O bonds broken, one O=O bond is formed.  Forming bonds releases energy, breaking bonds consumes energy.  You see the difference is about 200 kJ/mol released energy (140 kJ/mol*2 - 490 kJ/mol = -210 kJ/mol).  This crude approach is reasonably close to what you calculate from heats of formation.  So, this reaction is exothermic primarily due to the weakness of the O-O single bond, which just doesn't store very much energy compared to dioxygen.  The energy difference is released as heat. 

The reaction is also spontaneous because the entropy change is positive.  The primary reason for this is that you are forming a gas.

Therefore as you can imagine it is very favorable (large negative ΔG).  Despite this, it's pretty slow, but that's a topic for another day. :)

Sponsored Links