April 20, 2024, 05:58:02 AM
Forum Rules: Read This Before Posting

Topic: Standard reduction half cell reduction potentials (organic & much more)  (Read 4208 times)

Offline r1ckr[]11

• Mole Snacks: +0/-0
Hey guys I was just wondering if there was some sort of resource like a table or even an equation that exists for calculating the half-cell potential of organic Redox reactions.  More than likely it would have to be a piece wise function evaluated over the different functional groups (or branches in complex structures) but that's perfectly alright with me. 

I know such a table exists for many inorganic reactions, but I doubt that covers all of the bases as well... Is there a higher function that maybe is used in upper division coursework that can allow for the determination of the cell voltages for arbitrary oxidation states (for example, iron (VII/III) have been reported), and very unusual oxidation states exist under Gatms which would be necessary for understanding electrodynamics of magnetic fields of planets like ours or Jupiter as well as shed light on other geochemical processes.   Additionally, there's suboxides, oxocoarbon reactions, and mineralogy studies on such compounds as Cobalt(II,III) oxide and Manganese(II,III) oxide.

These of course are just samplers as under Usanovich, almost anything can be involved in a "redox" reaction if there are ionic intermediates

Also curious about radicals and half-cells now, or does the principle only extend as far as Cooper Pairs are being exchanged?

Offline Borek

• Mr. pH
  • Administrator
  • Deity Member
  • Mole Snacks: +1800/-410
  • I am known to be occasionally wrong.
    • Chembuddy
I strongly doubt. In the end it is the experiment that is the only sure way of determining the potential. My bet is that even if such methods exist, they are limited in accuracy.
ChemBuddy chemical calculators - stoichiometry, pH, concentration, buffer preparation, titrations.info

Offline r1ckr[]11

Experiment that is the only sure...

Then how did they ever manage to make a table of half-cell values such as on hyperphysics http://hyperphysics.phy-astr.gsu.edu/hbase/tables/electpot.html

Is this because Gibbs Free Energy cannot be predicted? Nerst Equation is a jumping-off point from what i can tell (going back to General Chem B material). We can handily calculate entropy and the Thermodynamic Identity should provide some sort of inroads. But perhaps not.

P.S. nonstandard html shortcuts here: how do I shorten the url into a word?
« Last Edit: May 05, 2013, 05:36:43 PM by r1ckr[]11 »

Offline Borek

• Mr. pH
  • Administrator
  • Deity Member
    • Chembuddy
Then how did they ever manage to make a table of half-cell values such as on hyperphysics

These are mostly experimental values. Some can be calculated from ΔG - which is determined experimentally.

P.S. nonstandard html shortcuts here: how do I shorten the url into a word?

They are pretty standard for UBBC:
Code: [Select]
[url=http://www.chemicalforums.com]Chemical Forums[/url]
renders as Chemical Forums.
ChemBuddy chemical calculators - stoichiometry, pH, concentration, buffer preparation, titrations.info

Offline r1ckr[]11

Re: Standard reduction half cell reduction potentials (organic & much more)
« Reply #4 on: October 10, 2013, 11:48:54 PM »
P.S. nonstandard html shortcuts here: how do I shorten the URL into a word?

They are pretty standard for UBBC:
Code: [Select]
[url=http://www.chemicalforums.com]Chemical Forums[/url]
renders as Chemical Forums.
Hey thanks :P

So, is there a reason why they have to be determined experimentally?

Sorry I haven't replied in so long... This was a brief fixation and I will come back from Quora et al with more info eventually.
   I also encourage you to Join especially in the relevant sections. Exposure....greater help for more people. Woo networking!

If I clip this page in Evernote, It'll have a greater chance of being discovered as well. Yeah... my mind is a mess. :P

Offline Borek

• Mr. pH
  • Administrator
  • Deity Member
    • Chembuddy
Re: Standard reduction half cell reduction potentials (organic & much more)
« Reply #5 on: October 11, 2013, 02:55:45 AM »
So, is there a reason why they have to be determined experimentally?

Yes - real world is still way too complicated for our simplified calculation methods. Too many processes on too many levels occurring at the same time. We can find estimates, but so far they are never guaranteed to be precise.

Sponsored Links