April 29, 2024, 03:00:58 AM
Forum Rules: Read This Before Posting

Topic: Electrochemistry problem-cell potential?  (Read 2151 times)

Offline iseeu

• Mole Snacks: +0/-0
Electrochemistry problem-cell potential?
« on: May 03, 2013, 04:38:10 AM »
2MnO4- (aq) +16H+(aq) +5 Pb(s) + 5SO2-4 (aq) --> 5PbSO4 (s) 2 Mn2+ (aq) + 8H2O (l)

I determined the cell potential to be E= 1.63 Volts.

So if sodium sulfite was added to the cell to precipitate Mn2+ ions, would the cell potential increase or decrease? please describe to me why

I think more solid would give the cell less volts? I have no idea though.

Another question..what is the value of the equilibrium constant K @ 25º C?

I tried using the equations: ΔGº = -nFEº and ΔGº= -RTln(Keq)

but they didnt work out. (my calculator couldn't even handle the answer)

however, in an earlier part of the problem, he also gave us concentrations for all of the ions. So should I just calculate K that way? (I already did) It just seems too easy. Let me know what you think!

(I calculated K to be 8.11 x 10 ^32, so it's really big!! It just seems you should be able to get the same answer through the other equations though, so something's wrong)

Online Borek

• Mr. pH
  • Administrator
  • Deity Member
  • Mole Snacks: +1801/-410
  • I am known to be occasionally wrong.
    • Chembuddy
Re: Electrochemistry problem-cell potential?
« Reply #1 on: May 03, 2013, 05:25:24 AM »
So if sodium sulfite was added to the cell to precipitate Mn2+ ions, would the cell potential increase or decrease?

Sulfite will get oxidized by MnO4-, in this context I don't see how it could precipitate Mn2+.
ChemBuddy chemical calculators - stoichiometry, pH, concentration, buffer preparation, titrations.info

Offline iseeu

• Mole Snacks: +0/-0
« Reply #2 on: May 03, 2013, 04:54:18 PM »
Well that was a question, and it's a take home test. Maybe it's just a more conceptual or general question, like what happens to ε when you have more solid in a system.

Oh yea he gave us ion concentrations: [MnO-4] =.4M [SO2-4] =.6M [Mn2+] = 2x10-4M  pH=2.4 so [H+]=.00398 M

I was thinking maybe the precipitation will affect Q because Mn2+ would just drop out of the equation. Is this right?

Online Borek

• Mr. pH
  • Administrator
  • Deity Member
  • Mole Snacks: +1801/-410
  • I am known to be occasionally wrong.
    • Chembuddy
« Reply #3 on: May 03, 2013, 05:20:02 PM »
Could be it was the general idea, but if so, you would need Ksp to calculate [Mn2+]. Unless it is just a matter of Yes/No answer.
ChemBuddy chemical calculators - stoichiometry, pH, concentration, buffer preparation, titrations.info

Sponsored Links