April 19, 2024, 11:19:19 AM
Forum Rules: Read This Before Posting

Topic: Question about lab protocol manual  (Read 2725 times)

Offline long3465

• Mole Snacks: +0/-0
Question about lab protocol manual
« on: May 02, 2013, 12:30:14 AM »
Hello everyone,
I am looking for any suggestions for a basic lab protocol book. . Here are some of the things I am looking to make; Nitric acid, Sodium hydroxide, hydrochloric acid and the like. Really basic lab reagents, that I am too poor/ my wife would kill me for spending money on. But not a text book.

I am in my second semester studying chemistry and am starting to get the bug to try more things at home. The problem I am having is finding resources that give step by step instructions on how to prepare reagents. For example I would like to try electroplating, but seeing as I am a poor student, I cannot afford to buy all the proper reagents to prepare the solutions. This is just one quick example. Right now the best I have come up with is YouTube videos. I am sure the people in the videos know what they are doing, but I like to read it for myself. One of the problems I am having is I don’t even know what to Google search for, to find a book like this. The closest that I think might be close is “Ullmann’s encyclopedia of industrial chemistry 6th edition". This looks like it might be amazing, but being priced between $175-$9000, depending on the site, not something to get on a whim.  I need to know temps and molarity and all the basic info to do things.
Thanks in advance.
p.s.
to the admin, feel free to move this post to where you feel it would best fit, I couldn’t decide

Offline long3465

• Mole Snacks: +0/-0

Offline Arkcon

• Retired Staff
  • Mole Snacks: +533/-147
Re: Question about lab protocol manual
« Reply #2 on: May 03, 2013, 03:16:57 PM »
I like that one.  In particular, in addition to good videos, it comes with a safety disclaimer. ;)
Hey, I'm not judging.  I just like to shoot straight.  I'm a man of science.

Sponsored Links