April 28, 2024, 03:20:15 PM
Forum Rules: Read This Before Posting

Topic: I need a Glass Encapsulated Digital Thermometer Probe  (Read 3713 times)

Offline atrum

• Mole Snacks: +0/-0
I need a Glass Encapsulated Digital Thermometer Probe
« on: May 04, 2013, 08:34:50 PM »
Hello all,

I am new to these forums and I am teaching my self chemistry as a hobby. I am trying to synthesize Luminol using the instructions of Nurdrage from youtube.

I am at the point where I need to measure the temperature of a solution of sulfuric acid, phthlalic anhydride, and sodium nitrate. The issue is that my digital temperature probe would be destroyed in the process. So I am in need of a glass encapsulated digital temperature probe.

So far I cannot find one. Can anyone provide me with a link to a place that sells them?

Offline Arkcon

• Retired Staff
  • Mole Snacks: +533/-147
Re: I need a Glass Encapsulated Digital Thermometer Probe
« Reply #1 on: May 04, 2013, 08:39:12 PM »
OK.  I'll bite.  Why can't you use a typical alcohol filled glass body thermometer?
Hey, I'm not judging.  I just like to shoot straight.  I'm a man of science.

Offline atrum

« Reply #2 on: May 04, 2013, 08:48:04 PM »
Well I guess I could, but I would rather use a digital one for the added accuracy.

Offline curiouscat

• Chemist
  • Mole Snacks: +121/-35
« Reply #3 on: May 04, 2013, 11:00:49 PM »
Well I guess I could, but I would rather use a digital one for the added accuracy.

Why do you think a digital one is more accurate? Just because it shows you two decimals doesn't always mean it is.

Have you bought a drugstore version or some special model?

Offline atrum

« Reply #4 on: May 04, 2013, 11:09:08 PM »
I have a hotplate/stirrer with a temp probe attachment. I guess  I am just trying to make the best/full use of the equipment I have.  If you really think I don't need a glass enc/temp probe then I will take your advise.

Offline curiouscat

• Chemist
  • Mole Snacks: +121/-35
« Reply #5 on: May 04, 2013, 11:19:40 PM »
I have a hotplate/stirrer with a temp probe attachment. I guess  I am just trying to make the best/full use of the equipment I have.  If you really think I don't need a glass enc/temp probe then I will take your advise.

I think you will be just fine. I doubt your application needs extreme accuracy.

Offline atrum

« Reply #6 on: May 04, 2013, 11:37:20 PM »
not really. The only constraint is not going over the target temperature. Thanks for the advice.

Offline Corribus

• Chemist
  • Mole Snacks: +530/-23
  • A lover of spectroscopy and chocolate.
« Reply #7 on: May 05, 2013, 01:56:36 AM »
Besides, most digital probes like this are instant read, and coating them with glass (an insulating material) would totally defeat the purpose of having an instant read thermometer.  Not to mention they'd be fragile and rounded on the end, and therefore ill suited for most applications for which instant read digital temperature probes are designed (e.g., for jabbing into a chunk of barbecuing meat to see if it's dinner time yet. :) )  So, I'm not surprised you can't find one.
What men are poets who can speak of Jupiter if he were like a man, but if he is an immense spinning sphere of methane and ammonia must be silent?  - Richard P. Feynman

Offline sophotect

• Mole Snacks: +7/-0
« Reply #8 on: May 29, 2013, 07:43:00 AM »
I bought an infrared thermometer at home depot for like 10$, it's good from -20°C - 320°C. I also use it to amuse/exercise the dogs, they still chase the little red dot everywhere...
The person who takes responsibility on his shoulders isn't likely to have a chip there.

Sponsored Links