April 24, 2024, 02:50:01 PM
Forum Rules: Read This Before Posting

Topic: Chirality of Nitrogen  (Read 5355 times)

Offline Pranav

• Mole Snacks: +0/-9
Chirality of Nitrogen
« on: May 05, 2013, 05:30:19 PM »
I have attached the question. Ignore the marks made with the pen.

I was able to correctly answer the first question but my answer of second is marked incorrect. For second, I started with considering the chiral centres. I found two carbons and one nitrogen to be chiral. This makes a total of 6 stereoisomers but the answer key states its 4. I am fully aware of pyramidal inversion. If we consider that pyramidal inversion makes it impossible to resolve the stereoisomers, the answer is 4. Can someone please help me on this? Should I not consider nitrogen a chiral centre while solving questions?
« Last Edit: May 05, 2013, 06:00:00 PM by Pranav »

Offline betterbesafehero

• Mole Snacks: +4/-11
  • Maybe you should grow up now..!
Re: Chirality of Nitrogen
« Reply #1 on: May 05, 2013, 06:06:50 PM »
Your answer is in your last question :)
“You never fail until you stop trying.”
― Albert Einstein

Offline Dan

• Retired Staff
  • Mole Snacks: +469/-72
  • Organic Chemist
    • My research
« Reply #2 on: May 05, 2013, 06:27:47 PM »
1. If you consider you have 3 stereogenic centres, you will have 23 = 8 stereoisomers. I do not see 6 as a logical answer in any case.

2. It is almost always the case that amines will undergo rapid pyramidal inversion and should not be considered stereogenic. Aziridines, azetidines and other N centres with unusually high energy barriers to pyramidal inversion may be resolvable. However, pyramidal inversion is not relevant here because...

3. We are not dealing with an amine here, it is an amide. The N is planar (sp2). Restricted C(O)-N bond rotation could result in E/Z isomerism, but as far as I am aware E/Z isomers of amides interconvert too readily to be separated. There are only two stereogenic centres.
My research: Google Scholar and Researchgate

Offline betterbesafehero

« Reply #3 on: May 05, 2013, 07:12:20 PM »
and I would assume that someone has got a very propitious answer just because of me :)
― Albert Einstein

Offline betterbesafehero

« Reply #4 on: May 05, 2013, 07:18:12 PM »
1. If you consider you have 3 stereogenic centres, you will have 23 = 8 stereoisomers. I do not see 6 as a logical answer in any case.

I too thought that, time to do some maths :)
― Albert Einstein

Offline Pranav

« Reply #5 on: May 06, 2013, 02:22:58 AM »

Ah yes, you are right. I think I did it hastily during the examination and the 6 remained in my head. :P

Quote from: Dan
2. It is almost always the case that amines will undergo rapid pyramidal inversion and should not be considered stereogenic. Aziridines, azetidines and other N centres with unusually high energy barriers to pyramidal inversion may be resolvable.
I do have a slight idea about it but they aren't usually asked in my exams and they aren't even in my syllabus too. 

Quote from: Dan
However, pyramidal inversion is not relevant here because...

3. We are not dealing with an amine here, it is an amide. The N is planar (sp2). Restricted C(O)-N bond rotation could result in E/Z isomerism, but as far as I am aware E/Z isomers of amides interconvert too readily to be separated. There are only two stereogenic centres.
Thank you Dan! That is a nice explanation, thanks! :)

Offline AWK

• Retired Staff
  • Mole Snacks: +555/-93
AWK

Offline Pranav

« Reply #7 on: May 08, 2013, 08:06:11 AM »
Thanks AWK! :)

I still have one question. What if it was an amine instead of amide? Should the answer be 8 or 4?

Offline AWK

• Retired Staff
« Reply #8 on: May 08, 2013, 10:57:28 AM »
Amide group is flat - no stereogenic center
AWK

Offline Pranav

« Reply #9 on: May 08, 2013, 11:36:54 AM »

I understand that but what if there was an amine in the question? Should the answer be 8 or 4? Because theoretically, we can say that amine is a chiral centre but due to pyramidal inversion, it is not resolvable, does that mean I should restrict my answer to 4?

Offline iamback

• Mole Snacks: +2/-2
« Reply #10 on: May 08, 2013, 10:42:42 PM »

I understand that but what if there was an amine in the question? Should the answer be 8 or 4? Because theoretically, we can say that amine is a chiral centre but due to pyramidal inversion, it is not resolvable, does that mean I should restrict my answer to 4?

You are right pranav

Offline AWK

• Retired Staff
« Reply #11 on: May 09, 2013, 07:50:02 AM »
Amine Nitrogen (no hydrogen atom at N) is stereogenic only when involved in rings (mainly  3-membered). Even more steric hindrance should cooperate.
Note - nitrogen atom of quinine is stereogenic (inversion is impossible) though textbooks did not inform about it.
AWK

Offline Pranav

« Reply #12 on: May 09, 2013, 07:51:26 AM »
Amine Nitrogen (no hydrogen atom at N) is stereogenic only when involved in rings (mainly  3-membered). Even more steric hindrance should cooperate.
Note - nitrogen atom of quinine is stereogenic (inversion is impossible) though textbooks did not inform about it.

Thank you AWK! :)

Sponsored Links