April 28, 2024, 04:34:19 AM
Forum Rules: Read This Before Posting

Topic: Have some Confusing Organic Compounds to Name (for me anyways)  (Read 1641 times)

Offline BrightDarkness

• Very New Member
  • Mole Snacks: +0/-0
I have attached a picture of the compounds I am having trouble naming. The compounds are 7, 12, and 11. I tried naming 7 as follows: 1,3,5-cyclohexaneoxymethane. I tried naming 12 as follows: 3,5-chloro-1-ethyl-1-cyclohexene. I have no idea how to name 11. I am in a high school chemistry class and we are learning organic chemistry and this is a review WKST before our test. Help me if at all possible.

Offline blaisem

• Mole Snacks: +5/-0
Re: Have some Confusing Organic Compounds to Name (for me anyways)
« Reply #1 on: May 08, 2013, 08:17:18 PM »
You're on a good track.

7. Consider that R-O-CH3 is a functional group called methoxy.  You can also go the common name route of treating it as an ether as in 9

9. Speaking of 9 (even though you didn't mention it), don't forget to specify where the oxygen in an ether group attaches to its substituents.  If you don't specify, the 1 position is automatically assumed. Prefixes like sec-, tert- and iso are useful in these situations.

11. Try naming the compound as an amine.  For example, dimethylamine.  When you have more than one type of substituent though, precede it with "N-" to reduce confusion.  The N- signifies the point of attachment is on the nitrogen.

12. don't forget to add prefixes to a substituent to indicate its quantity!

Hope that helps! :)

Offline Dan

• Retired Staff
  • Mole Snacks: +469/-72
  • Organic Chemist
    • My research
Re: Have some Confusing Organic Compounds to Name (for me anyways)
« Reply #2 on: May 09, 2013, 01:39:54 AM »
I tried naming 7 as follows: 1,3,5-cyclohexaneoxymethane.

Are you trying to call the benzene ring cyclohexa-1,3,5-triene? Stick with benzene.
My research: Google Scholar and Researchgate

Sponsored Links