April 26, 2024, 12:52:51 PM
Forum Rules: Read This Before Posting

Topic: Quick Question Thread about the Special Properties of Acids and Bases  (Read 2580 times)

wolf_of_benjamin

You can post any question or information about the properties of Acids and Bases.

As for me, I was brought in here to know the Boiling Point of Carbonic Acid.
I was told that Carbonic acid has no true boiling point since it exists only in solution and is virtually reversible.

[CO2 + H2O <=> HCO3 (-) + H (+) <=> H2CO3] (aqueous)

I wish to remove the impurities in my homemade experiment of synthesizing Carbonic Acid through enthalpy and I want to know its Boiling Point or Melting Point. Can anyone answer?
« Last Edit: May 09, 2013, 04:48:11 AM by wolf_of_benjamin »

Offline Borek

• Mr. pH
  • Administrator
  • Deity Member
  • Mole Snacks: +1801/-410
  • I am known to be occasionally wrong.
    • Chembuddy
My bet is that you are confusing things.

So, how have you synthesized carbonic acid through enthalpy?
ChemBuddy chemical calculators - stoichiometry, pH, concentration, buffer preparation, titrations.info

wolf_of_benjamin

Since carbonic acid is a weak acid and is formed from relatively
common elements as H, C and O
I took a handful of Activated Charcoal and put it in a glass and
poured in some water. Then I put in some aged whisky, which is
a mixture of CH3COOH (a weak acid with low pH) CH3COC2H5 [(ethyl ethanoate) a stable ester]
and C2H5OH (ethanol) what gives wine its familiar taste.
Then I filtered the mixture into a funnel cropped with folded paper and allowed the liquid to drip. I ended up
with a colorless solution; totally different from the original solution which was totally black and
blurry due to the Activated Charcoal.

The solution is aqueous because it contains myriads of OH(-) and H(+) left about by the reactions of the alcohols and carboxylic acids in whisky.
I meant to separate it through enthalpy by immersing a bottle of the mixture/solution into a warm
bath, maybe the differences in temperature will evaporate the volatile elements in the
mixture/solution?
« Last Edit: May 09, 2013, 09:55:09 PM by wolf_of_benjamin »

Offline Borek

• Mr. pH
  • Administrator
  • Deity Member
  • Mole Snacks: +1801/-410
  • I am known to be occasionally wrong.
    • Chembuddy
Sorry, but most of the things you wrote make no sense, to the point where it is almost impossible to point the separate mistakes out.

I suggest you start with some serious reading - any general chemistry book will do.
ChemBuddy chemical calculators - stoichiometry, pH, concentration, buffer preparation, titrations.info

wolf_of_benjamin

Carbonic acid which is more commonly found in rain water has a pH of 1.05.

Sponsored Links