May 01, 2024, 12:31:17 PM
Forum Rules: Read This Before Posting

Topic: 4-acetylthioanisole  (Read 1479 times)

Offline Archer

• Chemist
  • Mole Snacks: +85/-20
4-acetylthioanisole
« on: May 10, 2013, 06:05:29 AM »
I need to synthesise 4-acetylthioanisole (SMILE below) and I have very little experience of thioethers and their respective stability.
CSc1ccc(cc1)C(C)=O

I intend to use the ever reliable Friedel-Crafts (FC) Acylation but just wanted to see if anyone has any experience of this particular substance under FC conditions. For example, is the C-S bond labile in the presence of AlCl3 ?

I have had issues with FC reactions on certain substrates before which have resulted in unwanted products and / or residues in the flask which are difficult to remove. I had particular difficulty with 2-acetylthiophene, which not only gave a low yield but the black tar-like product / bi-products mix smelled very bad indeed.

Thanks in advance for any experiences you can share with me.
“ I love him. He's hops. He's barley. He's protein. He's a meal. ”

Denis Leary.

Offline sjb

• Global Moderator
  • Mole Snacks: +222/-42
Re: 4-acetylthioanisole
« Reply #1 on: May 10, 2013, 09:24:07 AM »
I need to synthesise 4-acetylthioanisole (SMILE below) and I have very little experience of thioethers and their respective stability.
CSc1ccc(cc1)C(C)=O
I intend to use the ever reliable Friedel-Crafts (FC) Acylation but just wanted to see if anyone has any experience of this particular substance under FC conditions. For example, is the C-S bond labile in the presence of AlCl3 ?

I have had issues with FC reactions on certain substrates before which have resulted in unwanted products and / or residues in the flask which are difficult to remove. I had particular difficulty with 2-acetylthiophene, which not only gave a low yield but the black tar-like product / bi-products mix smelled very bad indeed.

Thanks in advance for any experiences you can share with me.

The supplementary material (part 2) to Jereb, Green Chem. 2012, 14, 3047-52 (http://dx.doi.org/10.1039/C2GC36073J) suggests this isn't a problem

Sponsored Links