April 26, 2024, 10:57:42 PM
Forum Rules: Read This Before Posting

Topic: Learning HPLC  (Read 2274 times)

Offline alchmemist54656

• Mole Snacks: +0/-0
Learning HPLC
« on: May 15, 2013, 06:55:01 PM »
I'm starting out as an undergraduate in a research lab and will soon be doing HPLC over the summer. However, most of the chemists in my lab have limited experience with HPLC. How can I get started with using it. What are some good books that will help me learn chromotography, specifically HPLC?

Offline Arkcon

• Retired Staff
  • Mole Snacks: +533/-147
Re: Learning HPLC
« Reply #1 on: May 19, 2013, 02:10:49 PM »
I would start with the very basics of HPLC theory from a general Analytical Chemistry textbook.  However, this will really teach you very little about proper day to day use of modern instruments.  That's something that really doesn't go in a textbook.  If you've got some money to spend, LC Resources gives very in-depth courses, in-house, or at an event they host, or (nowadays more and more) real-time online.  But the courses are very through, and a little expensive.  Maybe the beat way to learn what's expected of you from this position is to find the instrument expert -- there must be at least one -- and ask if you can shadow them as they take the instruments through their paces.
Hey, I'm not judging.  I just like to shoot straight.  I'm a man of science.

Offline Pharmmech2222222

• Very New Member
  • Mole Snacks: +1/-0
Re: Learning HPLC
« Reply #2 on: May 31, 2013, 07:28:44 PM »
If you want just to use the HPLC, just look at look at HPLC vendors' website.

Agilent, Waters, Dionex, and Shimadzu are big HPLC manufacturers.

Agilent has a very good primer on HPLC
http://www.chem.agilent.com/Library/primers/Public/5989-6639EN.pdf

Also look at Waters' website for basic introduction.
http://www.waters.com/waters/en_US/HPLC---High-Performance-Liquid-Chromatography/nav.htm?locale=en_US&cid=10048919

Sponsored Links