April 27, 2024, 01:44:12 PM
Forum Rules: Read This Before Posting

Topic: green cupric chloride hydrate  (Read 4986 times)

celyn

green cupric chloride hydrate
« on: February 08, 2006, 12:19:19 PM »
Hi, Can anyone help me in finding out how to change the above to white cuprous cloride to take the green stain out of old vinyl dolls.
      Regards Mike

Offline Bakegaku

• Mole Snacks: +20/-5
  • Hydrogen peroxide is my miracle cure to everything
Re:green cupric chloride hydrate
« Reply #1 on: February 08, 2006, 10:08:06 PM »
Well if the difference in colour is because of the attached water molecules, then it would help to dehydrate this.  Of course the only ways I can think of to do this immediately would be to heat it (bad idea) or treat it with some kind of dehydrating agent (although not quite as bad, still pretty bad)
"True knowledge exists in knowing that you know nothing"
-Socrates

"I see, I forget.  I hear, I remember.  I do, I understand"
-Confucius

"Nothing will benefit human health and increase chances for survival of life on Earth as much as the evolution to a vegetarian diet."
- Albert Einstein?

"American cartoons place characters in situations; anime
places situations around characters.  Anime characters
are not like fictional characters but more like fictional
people; their actions stem directly from their personalities,
and not just as a means to move the story's plot
forward.  We are made to sympathize with them, and
not simply be entertained by them."
~John Oppliger~

celyn

« Reply #2 on: February 09, 2006, 04:08:56 PM »
Hi, thanks for that I will give anything a try.  The green staining is caused by the dolls having had earings in for the past 40 years, I am assuming that the wires were copper. we have tried various mixes and mixtures, but nothing seems to work to draw it out and i have been told i need to change the colour of it within the vinyl...   There is a bio chemist in the US who has come up with something called removezit but as I am in the UK, shipping the chemicals is not a good idea. Other ideas we have been given is a product called CLR but thats not available either... By the way if i am in the wrong section for these questions please let me know and i will move on.
      Regards   Mike

Offline Borek

• Mr. pH
  • Administrator
  • Deity Member
  • Mole Snacks: +1801/-410
  • I am known to be occasionally wrong.
    • Chembuddy
« Reply #3 on: February 11, 2006, 06:48:18 AM »
Just a moment...

If I understand you well your idea is to remove water from the copper compounds present in the material the dolls are made out?

If so - it won't work. Even if you will succed, copper will soon get hydrated by the water present in the air.

Better solution will be ot find out method of extracting copper from the vinyl - but it will be very difficult. Note, that the copper had many years to diffuse into the vinyl. To "suck" it out you will need either many years or you will need to heat up the vinyl to speed up the diffusion rate. Probably both approaches are more or less unacceptable.

With some luck it will be enough to remove copper from the very thin outer layer for a good visual effect. This can be probably achieved in reasonable timeframe and without risking damage, although I have no idea how to try atm.
ChemBuddy chemical calculators - stoichiometry, pH, concentration, buffer preparation, titrations.info

Sponsored Links