March 29, 2024, 01:07:33 AM
Forum Rules: Read This Before Posting

Topic: Oxidation of alkenes with potassium permanganate and osmium tetroxide  (Read 4503 times)

Offline tomaszp

• Mole Snacks: +0/-0
Hello!
I'm from Poland, so I'm so sorry about my language errors.
But I've got a question for you: please give me a mechanism of oxidation of alkanes with potassium permanganate and osmium tetroxide. I've got a problem with that, cuz in books ther's only KMnO4, oraz OsO4 up on the arrow, and ther's no detailed mechanism of this reaction. I'v got a problem, cuz I need mechanism of alkenes oxidation with potassium permangate in alkaline reaction medium, and with oxitation by osmium tetroxide ther's also sodium bisulfite, and I haven't got any idea for what is that reagent.
I would be very happy if someone gave me the reaction mechanism and explained  me what is sodium bisulfate for.

Offline Hunter2

• Mole Snacks: +162/-47
  • Vena Lausa moris pax drux bis totis

Offline tomaszp

thank you very very much
greetings!

Offline tomaszp

But still I don't know for what is sodium bisulfate

Offline Hunter2

• Mole Snacks: +162/-47
  • Vena Lausa moris pax drux bis totis
In which step it wii be added. Its a reducer to reduce the excesss permanganate

Offline tomaszp

Probably I didn't wrote it- sodium bisulfate is in mechanism with OsO4, and it's up on the arrow after formation of the intermediate product when the osmium compound is attached to a double bond with oxygen atoms.

Offline orgopete

• Chemist
  • Mole Snacks: +213/-71
    • Curved Arrow Press
Probably I didn't wrote it- sodium bisulfate is in mechanism with OsO4, and it's up on the arrow after formation of the intermediate product when the osmium compound is attached to a double bond with oxygen atoms.

I am hoping someone can help me out here. It isn't bisulfate, but bisilfite that is used, Na2SO3 or NaHSO3. Those reagents are used to convert insoluble manganese to soluble manganese salts.

It is also used with osmium tetroxide to regenerate it and make the reaction catalytic in osmium. I am more familiar with other oxidants being used. I don't know why it, which seems to be a reductant is used, except that it is.
Author of a multi-tiered example based workbook for learning organic chemistry mechanisms.

Offline tomaszp

damn. I'm so sorry for misleading. like I said I'm from Poland I'm starting with chemical English. yeah it's definitly NaHSO3, not NaHSO4. orgopete- you said, that you knew other oxidants which are more familiar... may I ask you what are those oxidants, and if you would be so kind as to give me some mechanisms examples.
Thank you for the anserw ;)

Offline orgopete

• Chemist
  • Mole Snacks: +213/-71
    • Curved Arrow Press
Hydrogen peroxide, t-butyl peroxide, and N-methylmorpholine-N-oxide
Author of a multi-tiered example based workbook for learning organic chemistry mechanisms.

Sponsored Links