April 18, 2024, 06:20:23 AM
Forum Rules: Read This Before Posting

Topic: Requirements for a Master in Theoretical Chemistry  (Read 2379 times)

Offline Compaq

• Mole Snacks: +1/-0
Requirements for a Master in Theoretical Chemistry
« on: May 23, 2013, 07:17:08 AM »
Hi!

I have just finished a bachelor's degree in chemistry, and will start my master the coming fall. I visited University of Oslo and listen to about 10 different research groups' presentations, theoretical chemistry one of them.

I have for long been fascinated by theoretical chemistry, but I fear I am not qualified. I have no more physics than what I got from high school, but I have calculus, linear algebra, and linear differential equations from my bachelor.

As I understand it, theoretical chemistry is much about solving Schrödinger's equation. I have barely seen this equation, and I fear I am no where near the mathematical requirements for solving it.

I have sent an e-mail to the Professor in charge, asking about this. However, what would you say a "general" requirement would be for mastering in theoretical chemistry?

Thanks in advance,
Anders

Offline Corribus

• Chemist
  • Mole Snacks: +529/-23
  • A lover of spectroscopy and chocolate.
Re: Requirements for a Master in Theoretical Chemistry
« Reply #1 on: May 23, 2013, 09:58:40 AM »
Without a solid background in quantum chemistry, it'll be a real uphill climb.  But you could do it, provided you are willing to put the work in on the side, and that you are confident in your math skills.
What men are poets who can speak of Jupiter if he were like a man, but if he is an immense spinning sphere of methane and ammonia must be silent?  - Richard P. Feynman

Sponsored Links