April 19, 2024, 07:33:27 AM
Forum Rules: Read This Before Posting

Topic: Activation of glucose as first step of glycogenesis. (Glycogen metabolism)  (Read 3882 times)

Offline opel65

• Mole Snacks: +0/-0
Hi, as the title says, that is the question I'm struggling with now. Where in glycogen metabolism is the activation of glucose for gluconeogenesis?
My thoughts on this that glycogen is converted to glucose 1-P which is subsequently converted to glucose 6-P (all this during glycogen metabolism right?) which is an intermediate in gluconeogenesis.

Is this what they mean? Also, correct me if I'm wrong, but it happens during fasting?

Disregard that, read the 3rd post.
« Last Edit: May 24, 2013, 12:16:52 PM by opel65 »

Offline Babcock_Hall

• Chemist
  • Mole Snacks: +321/-22
I think you are conflating two pathways, and you have some errors in terminology that you should sort through.  Glycogenolysis starts with glycogen and produces glucose 1-phosphate, which can be converted into glucose 6-phosphate.  Glc 6-P has multiple fates that depend on the tissue.  For simplicity, we might focus only on the conversion of Glc 6-P to glucose, which is a major fate in liver.  Gluconeogenesis usually refers the pathway that starts with pyruvate and ends with glucose, although there are other compounds that can funnel into gluconeogenesis, usually via oxaloacetate.  The last step in gluconeogenesis is the conversion of glucose 6-P to glucose, catalyzed by glucose 6-phosphatase.  I am not sure what you mean by the activation of glucose. 

Offline opel65

Oh god I'm sorry, ofcourse I mean glycogenesis, edited post.

The question is exactly "Glucose activation as first step of glycogenesis" (which isnt a question).

Well, first of all the first step on fluconeogenesis is the conversion of Pyruvate to oxaloacetate, isn't it? This question repeates itself every year on our university exam.
« Last Edit: May 24, 2013, 12:17:30 PM by opel65 »

Offline opel65

Oh god almighty, I just reread the question, its actually glucose activation in first step of GLYCOGENESIS, hahahah

Offline Babcock_Hall

• Chemist
Ask yourself whether it makes good chemical sense to link one glucose to the next to make glycogen (a polymer of glucose).  Once you begin to appreciate the problems in doing it this way, you will see that it needs to be activated.  Do you know the identities of the intermediates?

Offline opel65

What I understood is that glycogen stores are replenished during the well fed state and emptied during fasting when there is not enough glucose from diet.

Furthermore, I know that the first step of glycogenesis is conversion of glucose to glucose 6-P by glucokinase/hexokinase.
Do they refer to glucose 6-P as the active form of glucose? (I know it's used in several pathways).

I'm sorry I'm confused right now.

Offline Babcock_Hall

• Chemist
The next step is to isomerize glucose 6 phosphate to glucose 1-phosphate, but I personally would not call either of them an activated form of glucose.  You might want to look at your textbook to see what comes next.

Offline Babcock_Hall

• Chemist
@OP, It might be good to settle upon a definition of what it means to activate something in biosynthesis.  What do you think it means?

Sponsored Links