April 18, 2024, 09:06:52 AM
Forum Rules: Read This Before Posting

Topic: Neutralize a weak acid  (Read 1916 times)

Offline kemystery

• Mole Snacks: +0/-0
Neutralize a weak acid
« on: May 26, 2013, 09:32:36 AM »
Hi guys.

I'm trying to get my head around the fact that a solution is basic after neutralization of a weak acid with a strong base. It's supposed to be because the correspondent base will dissociate with water, so let's see:

CH3COOH + NaOH  :rarrow: CH3COO- + Na+ + OH-

So we add NaOH until it has been neutralized. But then I learn that the high pH value comes from:

CH3COO- + H2::equil:: CH3COOH + OH-

Would this not mean we can in fact never neutralize acetic acid, there will always be some in the solution? But we say that at the steep titration curve, we have now neutralized the initial acetic acid that was present, or something? Thank you very much!

Offline Borek

• Mr. pH
  • Administrator
  • Deity Member
  • Mole Snacks: +1800/-410
  • I am known to be occasionally wrong.
    • Chembuddy
Re: Neutralize a weak acid
« Reply #1 on: May 26, 2013, 11:12:43 AM »
I'm trying to get my head around the fact that a solution is basic after neutralization of a weak acid with a strong base. It's supposed to be because the correspondent base will dissociate with water, so let's see:

CH3COOH + NaOH  :rarrow: CH3COO- + Na+ + OH-

Apart from the fact the equation is not balanced, you got it wrong. Solution of the weak acid salt (which is what you get after you neutralize the acid) is basic, because the acid's conjugate bate reacts with water. What is the conjugate base of acetic acid?

So we add NaOH until it has been neutralized. But then I learn that the high pH value comes from:

CH3COO- + H2::equil:: CH3COOH + OH-

Would this not mean we can in fact never neutralize acetic acid, there will always be some in the solution? But we say that at the steep titration curve, we have now neutralized the initial acetic acid that was present, or something? Thank you very much!

At equivalence point we added stoichiometric amount of the base. But yes, there is some minute equilibrium amount of the undissociated acid still present in the solution. Nothing that can be done about it - even after adding excess base there will be some small amount of acid present (the higher the pH, the lower its concentration, but technically it never equals zero).
ChemBuddy chemical calculators - stoichiometry, pH, concentration, buffer preparation, titrations.info

Offline kemystery

• Mole Snacks: +0/-0
Re: Neutralize a weak acid
« Reply #2 on: May 26, 2013, 11:40:47 AM »
AH yes I wrote it up incorrectly. But you managed to clarify anyway, so thanks a lot!

Sponsored Links