April 27, 2024, 02:33:19 PM
Forum Rules: Read This Before Posting

Topic: Nonyl Aldehyde - CH3(CH2)7CHO  (Read 3187 times)

Offline Eon

• Very New Member
  • Mole Snacks: +0/-0
Nonyl Aldehyde - CH3(CH2)7CHO
« on: May 31, 2013, 11:47:05 AM »
Hello everyone!
I am concerning to build a bug trap, specifically mosquitoes trap.
I know that mosquitoes love CO2 and even more the human skin smell.

It has been found that Nonyl Aldehyde - CH3(CH2)7CHO is the cause of this smell.
So if I skip the CO2 for a while, and concentrate on CH3(CH2)7CHO, I would like to
give a try in making an attractive "smelly" solution for bugs with some experiments.

So I found this material for sale on Sigma Aldrich, no problem.

But before to buy it, I need anyway some help, as I need to know how to dilute the Nonyl Aldehyde, which i water insoluble, and quite toxic as can cause:

Skin irritation
Eyes irritation
Respiratory irritation

and also suggested proportion of solute/solvent.

Of course I will buy small quantities and try to follow all welcome suggestions, being carefull and to be sure that dilutet solutions of Nonyl Aldehyde will not have any danger for people close to that.

In case this is not feasible, is it any similar material which could attract bugs that you know by experience?

Thanks to all!
Eon

Offline billnotgatez

• Global Moderator
  • Mole Snacks: +223/-62
Re: Nonyl Aldehyde - CH3(CH2)7CHO
« Reply #1 on: June 01, 2013, 06:25:36 AM »
WIKI
http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Nonanal

put this link up to aid in discussion

as well as this link

http://shop.perfumersapprentice.com/p-5998-aldehyde-c-9-nonyl-aldehyde-.aspx

I found via GOOGLE (unfortunately I am on a slow connection so I can not get you better links easily)

@Eon
I am assuming you are doing this just for fun
because I am betting if this could be patented - it is
If you are trying to make it cheaper than traps out there then using Sigma Aldrich as a supplier seems an expensive way to go

I definitely am not one to dissuade someone from doing replication experiments just to hone your skills.
I am not one to say do not do this as an interesting project.
Just do not expect to beat out what is being done by the pros.

I will say you sound as if you chemistry skills are weak and this will be a struggle for you. For instance, can you compute ppm?

« Last Edit: June 01, 2013, 06:56:17 AM by billnotgatez »

Offline Eon

• Very New Member
  • Mole Snacks: +0/-0
Re: Nonyl Aldehyde - CH3(CH2)7CHO
« Reply #2 on: June 01, 2013, 11:41:25 AM »
Hello Bill..
thanks for the suggestions...

I can calculate ppm as I like maths....my problem is that I have always spent little time
with chemistry and now I regret...anyway never say too late..

However, I have found Sigma Aldrich link where it is possible to buy 100gr of Nonanal for 52 Euros....and it is  not so far from price in your suggested parfum shop page..

The reason why I am doing this is that I like experiments and testings phenomenas which I get courious on. I do not think that probably existing patents shall stop couriosity, isn't it?

Furthermore, my home is surrounded of plants and threes, and often even with anty-bug nets on windows, during summer alot of mosquitoes get inside home through doors, ending up that each night I have to kill first all tiger mosquitoes in the bedroom, and finally get to sleep....

So, I knew that Nonanal has a strong fruity/floral odor, but as I have read its toxicity, and its water unsolubility, before to do anything useless, I decide to ask first experts here for suggestions in what kind of solvent material I could try to dilute that...proportion I could find out myself just trying.....anyway also suggestions here are welcome..

Thanks anyway
Eon

Sponsored Links