April 27, 2024, 07:40:43 PM
Forum Rules: Read This Before Posting

Topic: alternative to Diethyl Ether?  (Read 6699 times)

Offline barnabe

• Mole Snacks: +0/-0
alternative to Diethyl Ether?
« on: June 25, 2013, 02:32:40 PM »
Hi,

I make a pyridine salt which contains the pyridine and an organic weak acid. The standard procedure to isolate the acid and remove the pyridine is to dissolve the salt in Diethyl ether with HCL, and let the diethy ether evaporate, which leaves the organic acid crystals with purity 99%.

But i would like to use something else, less flammable than ether to isolate the said acid.
Do you have any idea what could be used?
The acid is composed of C H O and is completely insolube in water. It is mildy soluble in alcohols and quite soluble in dichloromethane.

Thanks for any motivated suggestion.

Regards

Offline Illuminatus

• Mole Snacks: +10/-0
Re: alternative to Diethyl Ether?
« Reply #1 on: June 25, 2013, 06:55:58 PM »
Hi barnabe,

Look up THF (tetrahydrofuran), it may suit your needs.

Enjoy
Is 137 the end?

Offline discodermolide

• Chemist
  • Mole Snacks: +405/-70
    • My research history
« Reply #2 on: June 26, 2013, 12:15:19 AM »
Where does the pyridine go? By this procedure, that you posted, you have not removed it.
Development Chemists do it on Scale, Research Chemists just do it!
My Research History

Offline barnabe

« Reply #3 on: June 26, 2013, 04:07:41 AM »
Hi, it s washing + evaporation in effect:

The  pyridine salt  isdissolved in ether and shaken with aqeuous HCl. The ether solution is then washed with water , dried and evaporated to give the compound.

As said, i d rather use another solvent than ether (no fume hood in my settings).
Any idea?
Thanks

Offline camptzak

• Mole Snacks: +12/-11
« Reply #4 on: June 26, 2013, 12:10:35 PM »
Hi, it s washing + evaporation in effect:

The  pyridine salt  isdissolved in ether and shaken with aqeuous HCl. The ether solution is then washed with water , dried and evaporated to give the compound.

As said, i d rather use another solvent than ether (no fume hood in my settings).
Any idea?
Thanks

thf is a good idea, what solvents do you have access to? you should try to find some sort of hood or protective area.... as yoda would say; very dangerous organic solvents are
"Chance favors the prepared mind"
-Louis Pasteur

Offline magician4

• Chemist
  • Mole Snacks: +70/-11
« Reply #5 on: June 26, 2013, 07:24:37 PM »
If my analysis of your described procedure is correct, for the time being after addition of aq. HCl you will have a 2-phases system, with pyridine x HCl in the aqueous layer, and the pure acid in the etheric layer.

phase separation and removal of the ether gains your product

replacing diethylether with THF in this case will FAIL , as THF is highly miscible with water
--> no phase separation

methylenchloride might be the better alternative (with respect to flammability), though I would suggest a hood nonetheless, due to its adverse health effects

regards

Ingo
There is a theory which states that if ever anybody discovers exactly what the Universe is for and why it is here, it will instantly disappear and be replaced by something even more bizarre and inexplicable. There is another theory which states that this has already happened.
(Douglas Adams)

Offline barnabe

« Reply #6 on: June 27, 2013, 09:47:42 AM »
Hi,

thanks for your responses. In effect i will try Dichloromethane as it has regarding to my specs comparable suitability to ether for miscibility, with the different other solvents/compounds.

I could also try ethyl acetate.

Best regards and thanks

Sponsored Links