April 25, 2024, 05:07:47 AM
Forum Rules: Read This Before Posting

Topic: how do I determine if the molecule is polar or nonpolar from the structural form  (Read 8662 times)

Offline Jekel0000

• Mole Snacks: +0/-9
1,4-Dimethoxybenzene has and oxygen attached at 1 and 4 on a benzene ring. the oxygens both have single bonds on the 1 and 4. If the formal charge on the molecule is 0 for all the atoms in the substance, and there appears to be no dipole imbalance on the salt...
Is it possible that the 1,4-dimethoxybenzene has kinetic Energy from the spin on the 1, 4 benzene ring because of the single bonded oxygen atoms? would that effect the polarity of the molecule.
If 1,4-dimethoxybene is slightly soluble in water and like dissolves in like. then that must mean that 1,4-dimethoxybenzene is in fact slightly polar? AM I CORRECT OR SHOULD I JUST 12451345?

Offline camptzak

• Mole Snacks: +12/-11
this molecule is not a salt.

you should also probably read this: http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Kinetic_energy

the oxygens probably allow for hydrogen bonding by the water molecules, increasing the solubility
"Chance favors the prepared mind"
-Louis Pasteur

Offline Jekel0000

• Mole Snacks: +0/-9
the activation energy of the chemical reaction is dependent on
1) Geometry of the molecules
2) the kinetic energy
Therefore I am guessing that the molecule 1,4-dimethoxybenzene has a methyl CH3 that is a single bonded H3C-O-C6H4-O-CH3 on both 1 and 4 of the benzene ring giving possible no dipole on the molecule and I believe there is no formal charge on the Lewis Dot Structure. Therefore I am guessing that it is a non-polar molecule, but I am also guessing because it is slightly soluble in H2O that there is some kind of displacement of charge allowing minimal dipole or ion interaction for the weak FORCE...
I assumed that The -O- with 4 free electrons has an orbital spin that is allowing the 1,4-dimethoxybenzene to have some kind of Polar spin allowing slight solubility in H2O...

Question
IF a molecule(salt) is soluble(dissolves in water) in a solution meaning that there is no salt visible after the combining of
salt(solute) + h2o(solvent) -> Soluble 

Then the Salt Must be a Polar Molecule because Like Dissolves in Like
AM I CORRECT? IF SO Then 1,4-dimethoxybenzene is a slightly soluble substance in H2O meaning that some of the salt dissolves in H2O(Solvent) and therefore has some type of dipole or ion-ion interaction happening with the weak force...

My Original Question Might not have been so elaborate>
solute(substance)-1,4-dimethoxybenzene Non-Polar Substance
solvent(ethyl-ether) H3COCH3

Offline gritch

• Mole Snacks: +8/-0
  • Graduate Student: Inorganic Chemistry
It majority of this molecule's solubility in water is going to be because those -OMe groups are H-bond acceptors. The concept of like dissolves like doesn't necessarily mean if something dissolves in water only that it has groups the interact favorably with -OH groups.

Of course the molecule itself might have a very VERY slight dipole moment depending on the orientation of the methoxyl groups. If we assume the methoxyl groups are locked in plane (possible perhaps at low temperatures) we could have 2 orientations, one with a dipole moment and one without. I've drawn a picture of it down below (hopefully it works).

At high temperatures the methoxyl groups are likely rotating freely leading to no net dipole, even if each molecule itself may have a slight dipole moment itself.

Sponsored Links