April 19, 2024, 12:29:17 AM
Forum Rules: Read This Before Posting

Topic: Trends in ionic salts as far as endothermic and exothermic  (Read 4669 times)

Offline dmcshane8

• Mole Snacks: +0/-0
Trends in ionic salts as far as endothermic and exothermic
« on: June 03, 2013, 05:25:36 PM »
Hi i have to write a chem paper for 25% of my overall mark in my class, i was wondering if there is anyone who could tell me what about a salt changes the heat of solution. I'm thinking the more valence electrons a cation has the stronger the bonds will be making them harder to be broken in water,  and when they break they would give off heat making it exothermic

Offline Corribus

• Chemist
  • Mole Snacks: +530/-23
  • A lover of spectroscopy and chocolate.
Re: Trends in ionic salts as far as endothermic and exothermic
« Reply #1 on: June 03, 2013, 05:37:39 PM »
Generally: charge, size, and solvent characteristics.
What men are poets who can speak of Jupiter if he were like a man, but if he is an immense spinning sphere of methane and ammonia must be silent?  - Richard P. Feynman

Offline dmcshane8

« Reply #2 on: June 03, 2013, 06:09:27 PM »
charge and size of the cations? or the overall salt, and what are solvent characteristics?

Offline Corribus

• Chemist
« Reply #3 on: June 03, 2013, 06:47:22 PM »
Charge and size of the dissolved ions.  Solvent characteristics means: is the solvent polar, nonpolar or etc.  Needless to say, heat of solution of calcium ion is going to be different in methanol than it is in water.
What men are poets who can speak of Jupiter if he were like a man, but if he is an immense spinning sphere of methane and ammonia must be silent?  - Richard P. Feynman

Offline dmcshane8

« Reply #4 on: June 05, 2013, 03:46:11 PM »
anymore suggestions how to predict if they are exo or endothermic.

Offline Arkcon

• Retired Staff
  • Mole Snacks: +533/-147
« Reply #5 on: June 05, 2013, 03:53:32 PM »
This is a tough one, but Corribus: has given you some good help.  Its hard for me to understand -- the endothermic heat of solution salts must somehow be more ordered (less enthalpy) when dissolved in water.   Which is absolutely backwards from the definition of crystalline solids and solids in solution.  Try to correlate known endo- and exo- thermic salts in solution by the parameters he suggested.  See if you can find a pattern I've missed.  Its your grade, after all, I'm just curious.
Hey, I'm not judging.  I just like to shoot straight.  I'm a man of science.

Offline dmcshane8

« Reply #6 on: June 05, 2013, 04:13:20 PM »
I have found a correlation in the the size of the ionic compounds. The bigger they are the more endothermic the solvation seems to become. The only exception is that if you have more than 1 cation because the compound is separated more easily it seems to be exothermic. Another thing i have found is that the more electronegative the compound if the easier it will dissolve making it more exothermic.

I think these are right... I barely have a clue what I am talking about haha

Offline Corribus

• Chemist
« Reply #7 on: June 05, 2013, 04:23:37 PM »
Another thing i have found is that the more electronegative the compound if the easier it will dissolve making it more exothermic.
You need to be very careful.  Exothermicity is strictly related to enthalpy and is a thermodynamic parameter.  "Easier to dissolve" can mean a lot of things.  It can mean rate, which is related to kinetics.  It can also mean spontaneous (exergonicity - that is, Gibbs Energy change), which like enthalpy is a thermodynamic property, but which is also quite different than enthalpy alone.  The enthalpy change will impact both kinetics and exergonicity, but it is not the only consideration. 

In solvation, particularly aqueous solvation, entropy is very imporant.  Sometimes it is more important than the enthalpic term.  In addition, do not neglect that exothermicity (entropy change) is related to both the formation of intermolecular forces with solvent molecules, but also the breaking of them in the solid lattice. 

It is very complicated and often well-defined trends are hard to find.

Offline dmcshane8

« Reply #8 on: June 05, 2013, 09:25:22 PM »
Why would having a larger ion make it more difficult to dissolve in water?? ( making the solution colder)

Offline Corribus

• Chemist
« Reply #9 on: June 05, 2013, 11:05:48 PM »
Take a look here.  This will explain some of the factors involve, and also does a good job of explaining why simple trends like "bigger ion equal more exothermic" don't often work.

http://www.chemguide.co.uk/inorganic/group2/problems.html

Also, a minor error in the second paragraph of my last post accidentally defined the exothermicity as "entropy change".  This should be "enthalpy change".

Offline dmcshane8

« Reply #10 on: June 06, 2013, 06:52:00 AM »
Thank you this site is exactly what i need !

Sponsored Links