April 19, 2024, 07:50:06 PM
Forum Rules: Read This Before Posting

Topic: how to get a head start in O-chem?  (Read 4442 times)

Offline iScience

• Mole Snacks: +4/-22
how to get a head start in O-chem?
« on: July 11, 2013, 02:56:42 PM »
I'm taking O-chem this coming semester, and i want to read a little bit ahead. what should i study? links and topics will be appriciated.

Offline 408

• Chemist
  • Mole Snacks: +103/-30
Re: how to get a head start in O-chem?
« Reply #1 on: July 14, 2013, 04:50:25 AM »
If you are asking this, it is likely intro O chem.  SN2, E1, E2, SN2 reactions, and when each occur will take you far.

Offline orgo814

• Mole Snacks: +11/-6
« Reply #2 on: July 15, 2013, 11:31:31 AM »
You don't really need to read ahead if you just commit to it when the class starts. The whole "hype" about organic being the hardest class ever is from pre-med majors that don't enjoy (or are good at) chemistry. The fact that you took the time to go online ask this leads me to believe you have a lot of drive to do well in which case you likely will.

Anyways, if you're that interested, try to get a copy of your professor's syllabus and go through some of his suggested problems. Different teachers emphasize different things. The first few chapters are not that difficult (basic molecular structure, acid base reactions, etc). I would maybe try and read up on the nomenclature since most teachers make you teach this to yourself which can be time consuming, basic conformational analysis (and conformations in relation to stability), and stereochemistry.

Offline Babcock_Hall

• Chemist
  • Mole Snacks: +321/-22
« Reply #3 on: July 15, 2013, 03:51:26 PM »
Acid-base chemistry is very important, as are Lewis structures.  Another topic that students find challenging is stereochemistry.

Offline Sophia7X

• Mole Snacks: +32/-4
  • I, a universe of atoms, an atom in the universe.
« Reply #4 on: July 15, 2013, 05:20:21 PM »
Try Klein's little book, Organic Chemistry as a Second Language. It's very easy to read and understand.
Entropy happens.

Sponsored Links