April 28, 2024, 08:19:20 PM
Forum Rules: Read This Before Posting

Topic: Reduction of non-conjugated Alkynes  (Read 2227 times)

Offline AlphaScent

• Mole Snacks: +24/-7
Reduction of non-conjugated Alkynes
« on: June 06, 2013, 12:56:33 PM »
Hello All,

I have a synthesis before me of a compound that would involve a double skipped,  non-conjugated alkyne.

After a coupling reaction I would be left with a triple bond at the 10 and 14 carbon of a hexadecdiyn-1-othp compound.  Would you all think that I could reduce with lithum in liquid ammonia or would the conditions be too harsh and cause isomerization to a conjugated 10,12 alkene system?  I am worried about this happening.  Thank you in advance!!

Cheers!!
If you're not part of the solution, then you're part of the precipitate

Offline camptzak

• Mole Snacks: +12/-11
Re: Reduction of non-conjugated Alkynes
« Reply #1 on: June 06, 2013, 09:22:26 PM »
for what its worth, I don't think it will happen. I cant see a way that the shift could take place. let me know how it goes.
"Chance favors the prepared mind"
-Louis Pasteur

Offline orgopete

• Chemist
  • Mole Snacks: +213/-71
    • Curved Arrow Press
« Reply #2 on: June 06, 2013, 10:54:03 PM »
for what its worth, I don't think it will happen. I cant see a way that the shift could take place. let me know how it goes.

I'm of a different opinion. I think potentially, the reaction fails because the CH2 will be more acidic and subject to deprotonation. If this happens, I don't think it can deprotonate ammonia (I could be wrong), so this conjugated anion will resist accepting electrons. Because acetylenes can isomerize to allenes by deprotonation, I think two acetylenes increase that possibility.

I'd try the hydroboration route to get a trans alkene from an acetylene.

We'll see what others think.
Author of a multi-tiered example based workbook for learning organic chemistry mechanisms.

Offline AlphaScent

• Mole Snacks: +24/-7
« Reply #3 on: June 07, 2013, 03:59:07 PM »
I am aware of hydroboration of terminal alkynes to aldehydes, but am unaware of a reduction alkynes to trans alkenes under these conditions.  Attached is what I am trying to accomplish.  See what you think if I were to reduce the first alkyne to a trans alkene first and then alkylate.
If you're not part of the solution, then you're part of the precipitate

Sponsored Links