April 27, 2024, 06:45:13 PM
Forum Rules: Read This Before Posting

Topic: Citric acid ph drift  (Read 3896 times)

Offline laldibap

• Mole Snacks: +0/-0
Citric acid ph drift
« on: June 07, 2013, 10:48:59 AM »
Hi i got a hydroponic system at home.Im using tap water EC 120 ppm .There is an air pump which keeps the water oxygenated.
I got phosphoric acid and citric acid.
Im wondering why citric acid wont keep the ph stable. The Ph goes up from 5.5 to 6.2 within hours.The water also gets cloudy using this type of acid. What exactly is chemical happening ? On the other hand phosphoric acid keeps the ph very stable , maybe i would have to adjust the ph once a week.
I nearly can add as much citric acid i want , it always gets back to the same ph within hours , why ? Is the citric acid degenerating ? what happens ? cloudiness ?

thanks

Offline Arkcon

• Retired Staff
  • Mole Snacks: +533/-147
Re: Citric acid ph drift
« Reply #1 on: June 07, 2013, 11:03:33 AM »
Many things can be happening.  Citric acid is a good nutrient for microbial life.  If your system isn't designed or treated to remove all microbial life, you may well be culturing bacteria.  You may want to culture bacteria, to aid plant roots in the absorption of inorganic nutrients, or you may have a system using filters and treatments to remove algal contamination, but that my not help citric acid persist. 

Using phosphoric or nitric acids is a good way to adjust the pH -- if you want the pH to fluctuate.  On some level you do -- if you put the acid injector close to the pH sensor, you will get frequent acid injections, that stop further injections, that the plants will then absorb rapidly, again causing wide swings on pH, but increasing the health of the plants.

You shouldn't be visualizing your hydroponic system as a vat in which chemical reactions take place, where we try to make conditions as static as possible.  It isn't even like a field of grain, in which a farmer essentially "sets up" a field as if it were a large very open vat -- with tilled soil, appropriate pesticides and fertilizers, the best irrigation system they can afford (and are legally allowed based on water use laws,) and then hopes the weather holds out.  Under high light and temperature conditions, it is reasonable to expect daily or even more frequent fluctuation or components of your nutrient solution.  And you should definitely expect a biological explanation over a chemical explanation, unless stuff is precipitating in your holding tank or conduit lines.
Hey, I'm not judging.  I just like to shoot straight.  I'm a man of science.

Offline laldibap

• Mole Snacks: +0/-0
Re: Citric acid ph drift
« Reply #2 on: June 07, 2013, 11:18:54 AM »
hi thanks for your answer.
im sure its not the bacteria.If i mix up a new tank the same is happening within hours.
I have two deep water systems side by side.
I have to repeat this thing but : today morning i mixed up a new solution for both systems just using ferts and citric
system nr 1 i adjusted ph before adding nutrients down to 5.8 and added nutrients and the ph came out at 5.4 where it stays , there is also no cloudiness in this system

systen nr 2 i also adjusted ph before adding nutes but only to maybe 6.6 then added ferts and ended at about 6.2. I then adjusted another time to 5.6 . Thats the system where the ph rises as hell and als the water gets cloudy . Maybe any explanation ?

Sponsored Links