March 29, 2024, 09:37:43 AM
Forum Rules: Read This Before Posting

Topic: rate of new chemicals ?  (Read 2203 times)

Offline samone

• Mole Snacks: +1/-3
rate of new chemicals ?
« on: June 08, 2013, 12:37:54 AM »
I am wonder what the rate of new chemicals and materials being created are every year?

And the percentage of them that are sold to consumers or used in business? (rather then for just experimental curiosity or theoretical purposes)

Is it like 10 chemicals with 40 new  materials being created every year.
Or is it more like exponential.... I know from the number of atoms on the periodical table one has infinite possibilities to mix to get a compound of the infinite not so sure if there are still nearly infinite possibilities that are stable and can be used or fabricated. Though I would imagine it is nearly infinite since it seems like there is always a new substance being created every year as well as material.

Hopefully somebody in the chemical engineering industry or some one out there can give me a more accurate frame of reference on the growth of chemical substances / new materials being created. Or at least it would be nice to see a chart of all the new chemicals and materials that where created for each year.

Offline kriggy

• Chemist
  • Mole Snacks: +135/-16
Re: rate of new chemicals ?
« Reply #1 on: June 14, 2013, 05:22:02 PM »
You mean like new molecules created in research labs?
Its more like thousands or tens of thousands IMO. But only small fraction comes out.

Sponsored Links