April 28, 2024, 07:23:12 PM
Forum Rules: Read This Before Posting

Topic: research on battery with an Zn anode  (Read 3246 times)

Offline battery

• Very New Member
  • Mole Snacks: +0/-1
research on battery with an Zn anode
« on: June 08, 2013, 04:34:28 AM »
We are doing research on battery with an Zn anode. Here we encountered some problems, we wonder if there is any expert in this field to provide professional help on below topics:
Gases are produced while the Zn anode is placed in the acid or neutral electrolyte,  during charge-discharge/non charge-discharge procedure. As you know, gas is NOT welcome in a battery. Minimal or no lead or other contaminating metal is welcome in the approach to our problem.
——If you encountered such problem and solved it, would you pls tell me the solution or contact with me?
——If you know who are expert in this field, pls also tell me, especially their name and contact way.
Thank you in advance!
« Last Edit: June 08, 2013, 05:28:04 AM by battery »

Offline Borek

• Mr. pH
  • Administrator
  • Deity Member
  • Mole Snacks: +1801/-410
  • I am known to be occasionally wrong.
    • Chembuddy
Re: research on battery with an Zn anode
« Reply #1 on: June 08, 2013, 06:15:31 AM »
Gases are produced while the Zn anode is placed in the acid

And you find it surprising?
ChemBuddy chemical calculators - stoichiometry, pH, concentration, buffer preparation, titrations.info

Offline Arkcon

• Retired Staff
  • Mole Snacks: +533/-147
« Reply #2 on: June 08, 2013, 07:05:43 AM »
Like Borek: said, this is a pretty typical reaction, that you should have expected.  You seem to have written your question as if you were manufacturing some very important high level technical development, but you seem to have High School level knowledge of chemistry.  If you'd like some useful help, you should try to describe your application completely -- tell us everything about your battery: what is your cathode, what is the electrolyte, what voltage and amperage do you expect/need.  Where did you first hear of this type of battery, and what else have you tried?  And drop the secrecy, you're nowhere near a technical breakthrough worthy of it.
Hey, I'm not judging.  I just like to shoot straight.  I'm a man of science.

Offline Enthalpy

• Chemist
  • Mole Snacks: +304/-59
« Reply #3 on: June 10, 2013, 05:34:42 PM »
Every battery, including with zinc, needs special precautions so that its anode corrodes only when current is drawn. Even after over a century of zinc battery development, self-discharge still exists.

Previous methods included alloying zinc with a bit of mercury, yuk, and forbidden in the EU. Presently (since zinc batteries haven't fully disappeared yet) mercury is excluded, and the same result is obtained from zinc purity as far as I know - and possibly from other additives.

This looks very similar to corrosion control. It's sensitive to minor impurities and to the metallurgical state of the alloy.

What are the chemistries of acid zinc batteries? I thought they were saline, and had imagined that self-discharge is uncontrollable with acid electrolytes. I mean, when an acid-metal reaction is shown in a classroom, it's typically with zinc.

O yes, zinc-cerium batteries use an acid
http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Zinc%E2%80%93cerium_battery

Sponsored Links