April 28, 2024, 09:35:03 AM
Forum Rules: Read This Before Posting

Topic: Making sense of Entropy, 2nd Law of Thermo, and example Delta S calcuations/rxns  (Read 2394 times)

Offline wacki

• Mole Snacks: +0/-0
2nd law of thermo:  For a spontaneous process, the entropy of the universe increases. ΔS > 0

Combustion is a spontaneous process.  So why isn't Delta S positive?

One example where moles of gas decreases (more order)
Combustion #1
2CO(g) + O2(g) → 2CO2(g)
ΔS (298 K) = –173 J K–1 mol–1.

Another example where moles of gas stays the same
Combustion #2
Methane + 2* O2 gas -> 2* H2O(g) + CO2
∆S = 283.6 – 596 = -5.2

BOTH of these have ∆S < 0
Both of these are spontaneous or ∆G is negative.

I know the system is not the universe but still.  Why is the RXN ΔS < 0 when the 2nd law implies ΔS > 0.
« Last Edit: June 08, 2013, 05:03:41 PM by wacki »

Offline Yggdrasil

• Retired Staff
  • Mole Snacks: +485/-21
  • Physical Biochemist
Transfer of heat from the system to the surroundings increases the entropy of the surroundings.  The increase in entropy of the surroundings is equal to -ΔH/T (for reactions carried out at constant pressure).  Based on this information, you should be able to see that the entropy of the universe is increasing in both of these reactions.

Bonus:  You can use this information to prove that ΔG < 0 is equivalent to the second law.

Offline Borek

• Mr. pH
  • Administrator
  • Deity Member
  • Mole Snacks: +1801/-410
  • I am known to be occasionally wrong.
    • Chembuddy
I know the system is not the universe but still.

That's the answer to your question. 2nd law doesn't tell you can't have locally decreasing entropy, it tells total entropy grows.

What you did is you have thrown a bottle through the window and stated "mass conservation doesn't hold, I had three bottles, I have only two now".
ChemBuddy chemical calculators - stoichiometry, pH, concentration, buffer preparation, titrations.info

Offline Corribus

• Chemist
  • Mole Snacks: +530/-23
  • A lover of spectroscopy and chocolate.
What you did is you have thrown a bottle through the window and stated "mass conservation doesn't hold, I had three bottles, I have only two now".
LOL, I just had to give you a snack for this.
What men are poets who can speak of Jupiter if he were like a man, but if he is an immense spinning sphere of methane and ammonia must be silent?  - Richard P. Feynman

Offline wacki

• Mole Snacks: +0/-0
The increase in entropy of the surroundings is equal to -ΔH/T (for reactions carried out at constant pressure). 

this is what I was looking for.   So in an exothermic reaction ΔS of the universe is

-ΔS = -ΔH/T

or

ΔH = ΔS * DegreesKelvin

correct?

Offline Yggdrasil

• Retired Staff
  • Mole Snacks: +485/-21
  • Physical Biochemist
ΔSuniverse = ΔSsystem + ΔSsurroundings

Usually, the ΔS reported for a reaction refers to ΔSsystem, so I'll write ΔSsystem as ΔS and ΔHsystem as ΔH.  Recall from my previous post that the change in entropy of the surroundings is given by the amount of heat transferred to the surroundings divided by the temperature of the surroundings.  Therefore, we can write the change in entropy of the universe as:

ΔSuniverse = ΔS - ΔH/T

Sponsored Links