April 18, 2024, 08:42:48 PM
Forum Rules: Read This Before Posting

Topic: Porous metal - how to  (Read 3362 times)

Offline maxvortex

• Mole Snacks: +1/-3
Porous metal - how to
« on: May 24, 2013, 04:46:05 AM »
OK. Is there any way to make some soft metal, like lead or something else, porous ?

Max

Offline billnotgatez

• Global Moderator
  • Mole Snacks: +223/-62
Re: Porous metal - how to
« Reply #1 on: May 24, 2013, 07:54:22 AM »
I usually am irritated with GOOGLE because of the irrelevant links
but this time there are some nice looking ones I will just have to check out when I have time

GOOGLE  porous metal

side note
I have done some playing with precious metal clay which can fire to a metal that is slightly porous

Offline maxvortex

« Reply #2 on: May 25, 2013, 11:33:25 AM »
I hate google because you will always get results of company's that promote something or some totally irrelevant stuff. Basically, first screen is mostly commercial stuff and paid stuff. I use yahoo or some other search engine instead. If you put the same search words into both search engines, you will get very different results..

Anyway, it is always better to get answers here where you can discus and find some real help.  Tell me, if you would like to make lead more porous, what would you do ?
Can this be made at home ?

Max

Offline Arkcon

• Retired Staff
  • Mole Snacks: +533/-147
« Reply #3 on: May 25, 2013, 03:35:49 PM »
If you're having bad luck with Google, just go directly to Wikipedia instead.  Briefly, you'll always follow what billnotgatez: said.  to make something porous -- mix it thoroughly with something else, that dissolve/melt away/react away that something else, and you'll have a porous material.  This is a common industrial procedure, for everything from porous metals, to porous ceramics to plastic filter material.   You want the specifics, but so few people do this at home, you'll have to view corporate sites for any subtle hints they give you, on how its done.  As a guess, if you mixed lead particles and organic particles, and applied gentle heat, you might sinter the lead together as you burned away the organic.  But what proportions?  You'll likely have to determine that experimentally, because its likely a trade secret.
Hey, I'm not judging.  I just like to shoot straight.  I'm a man of science.

Offline maxvortex

« Reply #4 on: May 25, 2013, 03:57:26 PM »
Ok. thank you guys for use full infos.
I do have one more question but this is something totally different.

Max

Offline curiouscat

• Chemist
  • Mole Snacks: +121/-35
« Reply #5 on: June 10, 2013, 03:12:19 PM »
to make something porous -- mix it thoroughly with something else, that dissolve/melt away/react away that something else, and you'll have a porous material.  This is a common industrial procedure, for everything from porous metals, to porous ceramics to plastic filter material

Other general options: Melt and then blow air or an inert gas through the molten mass as it solidifies. Might work sometimes.

Another option sometimes is to pressurize the melt and blow it out through a spinnerette or a nozzle with fine holes and allowing the small droplets to dry in a stream and then compacting the granules under minimum binding pressure or in presence of a filler.

Offline maxvortex

« Reply #6 on: June 16, 2013, 02:36:52 PM »
I found this video on youtube:
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=qO-F5bo77GM
Its quite interesting...

Sponsored Links