April 26, 2024, 02:25:21 PM
Forum Rules: Read This Before Posting

Topic: Total activity  (Read 2684 times)

Offline Big-Daddy

• Mole Snacks: +28/-94
Total activity
« on: June 11, 2013, 04:40:09 PM »
If the concentration of A in sample 1 of volume V1 is cA,1, and the concentration of A in sample 2 of volume V2 is cA,2, the concentration of A when sample 1 is mixed with sample 2 is simply Σ(nA)/Σ(V)=Σ(cA,section*Vsection)/Σ(V).

What do we do for activity? Can we write something similar, or is it not possible to combine the activities with no further knowledge than this.

Offline AWK

• Retired Staff
  • Mole Snacks: +555/-93
Re: Total activity
« Reply #1 on: June 12, 2013, 01:47:52 AM »
We should calculate a new activity (activity coefficient) for a final concentration of A using the appropriate aproximation depending on concentration.
AWK

Offline Big-Daddy

« Reply #2 on: June 12, 2013, 01:33:21 PM »
Uh huh so as I thought it isn't additive. We can't do the problem without knowing about the specific species or concentrations involved.

Thanks for the reply, I won't worry too much more about this. It was only a matter of curiosity and I had already supposed that it wouldn't be as simple as addition.

Offline Big-Daddy

« Reply #3 on: June 16, 2013, 01:57:07 PM »
One question about this - is it necessary that we know concentration in order to do this (in which case we will calculate the new concentration and then multiply it by the new activity coefficient), or can we calculate the new activity without knowing the concentration, just from knowing the initial activity before volume change?

Offline AWK

• Retired Staff
  • Mole Snacks: +555/-93
« Reply #4 on: June 17, 2013, 02:57:05 AM »
Usually this is an iterative process
AWK

Offline Big-Daddy

« Reply #5 on: June 17, 2013, 12:03:14 PM »
But can we calculate it, iteratively or not, without the initial concentration? i.e. Given the activity alone, the initial volume, and the new volume, as well as the activity coefficient at the new volume but not the activity coefficient at the initial volume?

Sponsored Links