April 16, 2024, 02:29:52 PM
Forum Rules: Read This Before Posting

Topic: Can I succeed in physical chemistry?  (Read 8582 times)

Offline caliheat

• Mole Snacks: +0/-0
Can I succeed in physical chemistry?
« on: June 12, 2013, 12:52:48 AM »
Next year (Fall 2013) I am taking Ochem II and Physical Chemistry. I started as a physics major but I switched because I found that chemistry is more interesting and more exciting to me.

Anyway, last year (when I was still a physics major) I took two courses of upper level classical/analytical mechanics and I managed a C+ in the first term and B- in the second term. This is basically what we did (I recognize all of these equations): http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Analytical_mechanics

The last math class I took was partial differential equations and Fourier series, and I got a B-, but I really didn't feel like I understood everything. I have also taken a stellar structure (astrophysics) class using this textbook: http://www.amazon.com/books/dp/0471987980 and I got a B.

In short, I know my math skills aren't the greatest, but do you guys think I am prepared enough to succeed in p-chem? If not, I have this summer to self study and brush up on my math/chemistry. Thanks!

Offline curiouscat

• Chemist
  • Mole Snacks: +121/-35
Re: Can I succeed in physical chemistry?
« Reply #1 on: June 12, 2013, 02:31:10 AM »
Your math should be up to the mark. It's having the Chemistry base that I'd worry about.

Offline caliheat

« Reply #2 on: June 12, 2013, 03:35:47 PM »
Yeah I forgot to mention about my chemistry knowledge.

My school only requires us to take Gen Chem, basic physics and ordinary differential equations as the prerequisites for p-chem. So I took gen chem last year and got an A- and an A, and I found gen chem fairly easy (compared to lower division physics). The topics we learned are: acid/base equilibria, electrochemistry (anode/cathode stuff), reaction kinetics (1st/2nd order differential rate law stuff), basic thermochemsitry (ideal gases, ideal solutions), bonding and VSEPR, basic organic chemistry (mostly nomenclature), coordination complexes, and a bit of nuclear chemistry (balancing nuclear equations).

Is there anything else that I should brush up on to prepare for p-chem? (If anyone is familiar with the subject). I'm mostly concerned about my math skills, since most people who take p-chem complain about the math being insane.

Offline curiouscat

• Chemist
« Reply #3 on: June 12, 2013, 04:02:27 PM »
You seem decently well prepared I'd say.

Offline caliheat

« Reply #4 on: June 12, 2013, 09:35:25 PM »
Well that's good, I downloaded Atkins' Physical Chemistry (8th Edition) so I can look through it. I am not sure what p-chem book we will be using, and I can't find a previous syllabus so I'm not sure exactly what topics we will cover. I also have to go through Bruice's o-chem (7th) text to make sure I don't forget anything over summer, lmao.

Offline Corribus

• Chemist
  • Mole Snacks: +528/-23
  • A lover of spectroscopy and chocolate.
« Reply #5 on: June 12, 2013, 09:55:17 PM »
For math: Brush up on calculus (particularly partial derivatives), integration and vectors.  I would also suggest brushing up on differential equations and linear algebra if you can, at least the basic stuff - although how much you'll need the latter will depend a lot on how your instructor teaches some of the topics.   
What men are poets who can speak of Jupiter if he were like a man, but if he is an immense spinning sphere of methane and ammonia must be silent?  - Richard P. Feynman

Offline caliheat

« Reply #6 on: June 12, 2013, 10:17:32 PM »
Yeah I definitely don't like linear algebra; its just so abstract and I hate it. I tried taking a upper level linear algebra course and once we started talking about Hilbert spaces and basis transformations, I dropped it lol. Although I am fairly good at eigenvaules and eigenvectors, since we used those in my mechanics class when analyzing inertia tensors (matrix representation).

I am pretty comfortable with partial derivatives and multivariate integration, but not so much on green's and stokes theorem. Also, solving partial differential equations is like a blur to me, lol. The last PDE's I solved were the 3D heat and 2D wave equations. Will we have to solve PDE's when analyzing the Schrodinger equation?

Offline Corribus

• Chemist
« Reply #7 on: June 12, 2013, 10:45:27 PM »
Well the most you'll probably need is being able to solve determinants and so forth.

You probably won't do a whole lot of derivations yourself - it's more so you can follow what the prof is doing.  Rate laws are probably the area where you'll be doing most of it on your own.

Physical chemistry isn't about math.  But you do have to have some understanding of the basics.
What men are poets who can speak of Jupiter if he were like a man, but if he is an immense spinning sphere of methane and ammonia must be silent?  - Richard P. Feynman

Offline caliheat

« Reply #8 on: June 13, 2013, 01:58:26 AM »
Physical chemistry isn't about math.  But you do have to have some understanding of the basics.

Some people have told me that p-chem is a math class disguised as a physics/chem class lmao. I know that certain classes like quantum mechanics are mostly pure math and very little physics, so it could easily be taught in the applied math department.

Offline curiouscat

• Chemist
« Reply #9 on: June 13, 2013, 03:02:37 AM »

Some people have told me that p-chem is a math class disguised as a physics/chem class lmao.

Some Grad Level PChem courses perhaps. But for PChem101 that criticism is off the mark.

Offline Corribus

• Chemist
« Reply #10 on: June 14, 2013, 09:57:25 AM »
I would agree.  If a p-chem course is being described as a math class in disguise, then it's probably not being taught correctly. 

Offline Black Mage

• Mole Snacks: +1/-0
« Reply #11 on: July 04, 2013, 11:02:42 PM »
A little late but I can offer this advice: as far as pchem books go, I didn't like Atkins. McQuarrie's pchem textbook is in my opinion far superior in every possible way. Some people say it is a little math heavy but I'm sure it is nothing you can't manage. You might want to pick up a copy of that somehow for relatively cheap as a supplemental text if your professor does not use it. You can read all about the textbook argument over in the physical chemistry forum.
« Last Edit: July 04, 2013, 11:22:03 PM by Black Mage »
"Let the future tell the truth and evaluate each one according to his work and accomplishments. The present is theirs; the future, for which I really worked, is mine." - Nikola Tesla

Sponsored Links