April 18, 2024, 03:40:47 PM
Forum Rules: Read This Before Posting

Topic: Acid-Base Reactions  (Read 1600 times)

Offline adinboy

• Mole Snacks: +0/-1
Acid-Base Reactions
« on: June 15, 2013, 12:48:55 PM »
I am getting confused about this the more problems I do on it. My understanding was that only strong acids and strong bases will react to produce water and a salt. Something like this:
Molecular Eq: HCl(aq) + NaOH(aq) :rarrow: H2O(l) + NaCl
Net Ionic Eq: H+(aq) +OH-(aq)  :rarrow: H2O(l)

Makes perfect sense, both the acid and base break apart and combine with each other. But then I ran across something like this:
Molecular Eq: 2 CH3CO2H (aq) + Ba(OH)2 (aq)  :rarrow: Ba(CH3CO2)2 (aq) + 2 H2O (l)
Net Ionic Eq: 2CH3CO2H (aq) + 2OH-(aq) :rarrow: 2CH3CO2-(aq) + 2H2O (l)

The net ionic eq tells me that CH3CO2H will not break apart, but the molecular equation tells me that they will break apart and form a salt with Ba. I'm so confused by this. Why are they giving two opposing pieces of information? Am I missing something here?

Offline Borek

• Mr. pH
  • Administrator
  • Deity Member
  • Mole Snacks: +1800/-410
  • I am known to be occasionally wrong.
    • Chembuddy
Re: Acid-Base Reactions
« Reply #1 on: June 15, 2013, 04:40:30 PM »
My understanding was that only strong acids and strong bases will react to produce water and a salt.

Nope, weak acids/bases react exactly the same way. Produced salt will usually hydrolyze to some extent, depending on the acid/base strength, but in most cases this reverse reaction is stoichiometrically negligible (that is, it may change pH, but it doesn't change the stoichiometry substantially - amount of salt produced is that expected).
ChemBuddy chemical calculators - stoichiometry, pH, concentration, buffer preparation, titrations.info

Sponsored Links