April 27, 2024, 04:47:04 AM
Forum Rules: Read This Before Posting

Topic: Synthesis Help  (Read 3190 times)

Offline jlax31

• Mole Snacks: +0/-0
Synthesis Help
« on: June 23, 2013, 02:09:05 AM »
Ok, i need a little help here. I just wrote a bunch and found out I can't attach a BMP file so I lost everything. Anyhow..

Rules for this synthesis problem: Benzene and propanoic acid molecules can be the only source of carbons. Any reagent/solvent is allowed.

My attempt at a solution: I'm a little stumped on how to approach this. on both sides of a hexenone is a bromobenzene. How do I get the attachments at the meta position on the benzenes with a bromine? or am i approaching this wrong. Any help is appreciated.

Offline kriggy

• Chemist
  • Mole Snacks: +136/-16
Re: Synthesis Help
« Reply #1 on: June 23, 2013, 03:21:21 AM »
You can have substiuent on benzene which allows for meta substitution and then substitute if for bromine. I think its called Sandmayer reaction

Offline Dan

• Retired Staff
  • Mole Snacks: +469/-72
  • Organic Chemist
    • My research
« Reply #2 on: June 23, 2013, 05:24:58 AM »
How do I get the attachments at the meta position on the benzenes with a bromine?

Br is an o/p-director, so that is not going to work. You will have to install a m-director first, then brominate.
My research: Google Scholar and Researchgate

Offline jlax31

« Reply #3 on: June 23, 2013, 03:06:35 PM »
How do I get the attachments at the meta position on the benzenes with a bromine?

Br is an o/p-director, so that is not going to work. You will have to install a m-director first, then brominate.

OK, after some work I may have got most of it. The only problem is where to go from here:

1) I need to attach the propanoic acid to the benzene.I do this by turning the propanoic acid to acetal chloride by a halogen reaction:
CH3CH2COOH + HX -----------> CH3CH2COX + H20

2) Friedel-Craft Acylation of Benzene:
CH3CH2COX + Benzene (with AlCL3 cata) ----------> (Attaches to Benzene) creates a EWG that also meta directs.

3) Since CH3CH2CO is EWG and meta directing I add Br2 (FeBr3 Cata) to it:
Substituted Benzene + Br2 (FeBr3 Cata) ---------> m - bromo, propanal?

Now I can do this again to form the other side of the desired product. However, this is where I am a little confused on how to 'attach' each molecule. I could reduce one carbonyl aledyde, but how to turn it it in to a non conjugated alkene and 'attach'?

Any help is appreciated.

Offline jlax31

« Reply #4 on: June 23, 2013, 10:12:28 PM »
Did I go completely wrong here? haha

Offline camptzak

• Mole Snacks: +12/-11
« Reply #5 on: June 23, 2013, 10:50:55 PM »
Did I go completely wrong here? haha

I can't figure this on out either  >:(

I was attempting to build the carbon chain from one side and then connect it with this:
http://www.organic-chemistry.org/namedreactions/heck-reaction.shtm

I was thinking you acylate just as you proposed. then put a grignard reagent on the terminal carbon and react with another molecule of propionoic acid, then convert it to an α,β-unsaturated carbonyl and run the heck. but there are many problems with this and I am not sure if it would even work at all.
"Chance favors the prepared mind"
-Louis Pasteur

Offline jlax31

« Reply #6 on: June 24, 2013, 12:06:15 AM »
Perhaps the double bonds and six carbon chain are from a third benzene...

Offline camptzak

• Mole Snacks: +12/-11
« Reply #7 on: June 24, 2013, 08:48:43 AM »
Perhaps the double bonds and six carbon chain are from a third benzene...

I mean you could probably do that, but now we are both getting into routes that are incredibly long and not efficient at all. since this is a test question, there must be an answer that is more sensible.
"Chance favors the prepared mind"
-Louis Pasteur

Offline orgopete

• Chemist
  • Mole Snacks: +213/-71
    • Curved Arrow Press
« Reply #8 on: June 24, 2013, 11:25:10 PM »
Meta substitution and acylaction seem like the route I'd choose. I'd try functional groups changes to get a double bond and enable a coupling reaction.
Author of a multi-tiered example based workbook for learning organic chemistry mechanisms.

Sponsored Links